Lead Acid battery pulse charge does it do any harm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Battery charger is quite simple, at below 12.8 volt starts to charge, and at over 14.4 volt stops charging for small batteries, larger batteries it changes charge rate at same points.

So in the main I put a battery on charge, and the charge rate drops in stages, then it goes into standby mode maybe turning on for a few minutes a day to top up battery.

With one exception, my Kia Sorento with 95 Ah flooded battery the time to drop from 14.4 to 12.8 is around 12 to 20 minutes, so it switches from 0.1 amp to 0.8 amp between 2 and 5 times an hour, of 8 batteries I keep charged, this is the only one which does this, never had a problem starting car, and regular leave it 2 months between top up charges, car used for towing caravan so seldom used, well at moment neither my wife or myself are sure we have a licence, so we only drive in an emergency, DVLA strike means we can't verify if licence valid or not.

So two caravan batteries, three cars, a jump start unit, and radio batteries take turns being charged, only batteries that does any work are not lead acid, they power our e-bikes, but the Kia battery I can't decide if to leave on charge, or not, warmer it gets slower the voltage drops.

There is a recall pending on the Kia Sorento, which is it seems some fuel heater can stick on, but since we are not driving, can't take it in. And it would seem that would be more than 0.2 amp and using two chargers at 0.1 amp each the cycle stops.

Sponsored Links
I'd say the battery is old and tired or as you say maybe a current draw from the car (you could test this, and if a problem remove its fuse).

The CTEK tests for a voltage drop over 10 minute period. I think your drop would flag a fail.

If it were me and you aren't really using the car, I would disconnect the battery, charge it up, and leave it disconnected.

Sponsored Links
look in the owners manual and see if there are instructions on inputting radio code or google

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back