How To Check If Light Is IP44 Rated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling light fitting installed in a shower room during 1999. It's about one foot from the shower cubicle and the ceiling is about 7ft high, so it should be an IP44 rated fitting. I took it down for cleaning and there's no IP rating marked on it. My wife bought it originally and thinks they said it was 'suitable for bathroom use'. I don't know when the IP ratings were introduced (post '99?) but is there any other way of establishing if it is safe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I have emailed a pic to diyadmin to post onto here.
If it helps, the manufacturer is Canarm Europe and the part no. is F77>8091F.
Fitting is also marked:
'Canarm UIFM611
Ceiling Mount Only'
But no indication of any IP rating.

Then the only rating you can assume is IPxx :(

(ie. its not undergone the tests)

Sponsored Links
Is that because it's pre-IP rating (installed 1999), or just not IP rated at all? I'm not clear about when the IP rating was first introduced?

why dont you buy a new light, then be sure that got a IP Rating.
just to be on the safe side ;)

They certainly predate 1999, I have a feeling that BS7671 first referenced them in relation to bathrooms from the 16th edition onwards [1992] (when they introduced the concept of zones, before that they described things in terms of being out of the reach of a person in the bath or shower)

the suitability for bathrooms thing is probably a bit cheeky, in Zone 3 and beyond there is no specific Ip rating called for, only the general requirement that the equipment be suitable for the external influences to which it is likely to be exposed (humidity, etc).

At 7', putting it in zone 3 would require it to be 2' away from the edge of the shower area, not one

I've now measured it precisely and the ceiling is 2.33m high (just over the 2.25m limit). And the edge of the fitting is 5cm horizontally from the edge of the shower enclosure if projected up to the ceiling.
Looking at the IP diagram, this is technically Zone 3. However common sense tells me that being that near the shower in a small room that does get steamed up, and a ceiling fitting that is within touching reach of most people, that I ought to be using at least an IP44 fitting.The lower side of the unit is sealed (frosted glass fitting tightly covering the bulbs), but presumably moisture can still get in through the top half which is painted decorative metal, and then run across the backplate and into the live parts.
I've discovered that Canarm are still trading, so might give them a call on Monday and ask if they have any technical data on this fitting.
Yes, I'd happily change the fitting-but the wife really likes the old one, so don't want to ditch it unless there is a definite safety issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back