Shower light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all can someone advise what light I can have in my shower cubicle please, I bought one that was rated ip44 the supplier told me it would be OK, the electrician has told me it can't be fitted.
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
It will say in the instructions where it can be fitted.

IPX4 is all an electric shower has to be and look where they go.

Sponsored Links
It will say in the instructions where it can be fitted.

IPX4 is all an electric shower has to be and look where they go.
From what the electrician has said, I think the shower head is not far enough under the light? Thanks for replying

My belief ... And I may be very wrong, was that mains voltage IPX5 equipment was allowed in Zone 1, as long as the device was protected by a 30mA RCD.

I wait to be corrected! :)

Last edited:
My belief ... And I may be very wrong, was that mains voltage IPX5 equipment was allowed in Zone 1, as long as the device was protected by a 30mA RCD.

I wait to be corrected! :)
I wish I knew what you just said lol

Note: the 225cm. height is measured from the floor; not the base of the shower or bath.
It might not make sense but that's the way it is.

Also, the shower zones are not correct either; the 60cm. is measured from the edge of the door, so likely won't reach the wall; i.e. where you can reach - it would be as shown if there were no cubicle, and
there are no zones around the basin.
Nearly all such diagrams on the internet are wrong.

If you don't know, a bathroom is divided into zones, where electrical items in that zone have to meet a certain level of protection to minimise the risks of electrocution! ... A (very simplistic!) guide here! https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/lighting/bathroom-lighting
That is, of course, one of the countless examples of what EFLI was referring to when he wrote:
... Nearly all such diagrams on the internet are wrong.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
I have no doubt that the link was exactly what EFLI was referring to! :) ... A more comprehensive link (for a DIY'er), could be: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bathroom-electrical-safe-zones.htm But even here, there seems to be the implication that only SELV is allowed in Zone 1.
... and (per their table) much the same (with the exception of shaver sockets) in Zone 2.

Perhaps worse, although the description of Zones in text seems essentially correct, the first diagram (incorrectly) shows a Zone 2 around a basin!

... which all goes to show that EFLI was right :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back