How to check if you have been caught in a police speed trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be away from home for 4 or 5 weeks, and yesterday I approached a police speed trap van while doing about 41/42 in a 40 limit zone, and quickly dabbed the brakes to get it just below 40. I know they are supposed to give you an allowance but am concerned that if they write to me, I will not be able to reply in the allotted time, consequently, is there any way that I can determine if I am being charged for speeding?

Sponsored Links
If you were looking at your car speedo needle they all over read, typically 4-5 mph at that speed, do the maths.

You won't get a ticket if your speedo said 42 in a 40 limit. As an aside you will not be able to find out unless you are able to intercept the post.

Consider posing your question on forums.pepipoo.com - I expect you'll be told to keep a raft of evidence of the dates you were away in order to rebut the presumption of timely service of the S172 notice, and that you could expect to end up being penalised for any original offence of speeding, rather than failing to reply.

If the circumstances truly are as you claim, that being 42 in a 40, I highly doubt anything will be hitting the doormat

Sponsored Links
A friend received a speeding ticket for doing 32 in a 30 area.Seemed harsh but can happen.
Yes, can happen, but given the over-reading of the Speedo, it's possible that 35 or more could have been indicated in the car.

Yes, can happen, but given the over-reading of the Speedo, it's possible that 35 or more could have been indicated in the car.

Additionally, my understanding is that if you are clocked by a FIXED speed camera, that uses the lines on the road to determine your speed, then you will receive a speeding ticket for 1mph or more above the limit!

Additionally, my understanding is that if you are clocked by a FIXED speed camera, that uses the lines on the road to determine your speed, then you will receive a speeding ticket for 1mph or more above the limit!
No, the standard ACPO guideline is that prosections should start at 10% + 2MPH. So if you're doing 35 in a 30, that's where you'd get points, but not for 34 in a 30. It's true that they're only guidelines and that speeding is an absolute offence (so 0.1 MPH over the limit is still an offence), but in reality, they need the tolerance to cover any dodgy calibration, if challenged. That goes for fixed and mobile cameras, and indeed, (if you ever find one), being followed by a copper in a car!

Did 38 in a 30 2 months ago and did my speed awareness course last week.Dont consider it a trap I knew the limit, I was even aware of the camera as I had passed it many times before. Basically a case of driving without due care and attention, hopefully it will make me more aware/observant/safer driver.90 reasons to do so££

Last edited:
To clarify, the dailymail says:-

“Most police forces have a tolerance of 10 per cent plus 2mph above the limit before drivers face prosecution for speeding.”

HOWEVER, this is in an article that states:-

“In a new report, set to be published tomorrow, the All Parliamentary Group for Cycling and Walking will call for tolerances in the enforcement of speeding to be removed.”

But then those in their chauffeur driven cars, do not have to worry about speeding tickets!

Last edited:
To clarify, the dailymail says:-

“Most police forces have a tolerance of 10 per cent plus 2mph above the limit before drivers face prosecution for speeding.”

HOWEVER, this is in an article that states:-

“In a new report, set to be published tomorrow, the All Parliamentary Group for Cycling and Walking will call for tolerances in the enforcement of speeding to be removed.”

But then those in their chauffeur driven cars, do not have to worry about speeding tickets!
You have to be a bit careful with that one. It's true that the old ACPO guidelines (and they were only guidelines) were that prosecution should start at 10% + 2. In other words, in a 30, you wouldn't get away with 35 or more, they would start prosecuting at 35, so you'd really only get away with 10% +1.

There have been various calls from pressure groups to remove the tolerance, but the tolerance isn't there to give us drivers a sporting chance, it's there to allow for their sloppy calibrations and still be able to make the charge stick! If they went to prosecuting at 30.001 MPH, a clever "Mr. Loophole"-type lawyer would be able to pick holes in the case much more easily. With the current tolerance, it's almost impossible to show that you weren't doing more than the limit.

it's there to allow for their sloppy calibrations and still be able to make the charge stick!
I would assume it's there for the sloppy calibration of our speedos. Their equipment is regularly calibrated.
The difference between the true speed and the indicated speed will vary measurably, depending on the tread depth of the tyre.
Although, theoretically, the speedo should never under read.

I will be away from home for 4 or 5 weeks, and yesterday I approached a police speed trap van while doing about 41/42 in a 40 limit zone, and quickly dabbed the brakes to get it just below 40. I know they are supposed to give you an allowance but am concerned that if they write to me, I will not be able to reply in the allotted time, consequently, is there any way that I can determine if I am being charged for speeding?

I would doubt you would get a ticket for that, but do keep receipts and any proof that you were away from home for that period, and therefore unable to receive the notice in time.

Sponsored Links
Back