How to clean silver

2scoops0406

A top tip for cleaning silver without using silver polish. Place a piece of aluminium foil in a suitably sized plastic container. Place the silver item on the aluminium foil, dissolve 4 tbs of sodium hydrogen carbonate (baking soda to you and me) per pint of hot water. Pour into the container, leave a couple of hours, and hey presto, sparkling clean silver.

The beauty of this method is that unlike silver polish which removes the top layer of oxidised silver, this method simply reduces the silver oxide and silver sulphide back to pure silver. This makes it much more suitable to silver plate articles.

As with anything, do a trial first, 'cos I hate to be blamed for dissolving your family heirloom silver cutlery canteen. :D

Sponsored Links
Have you got any ideas for tunring lead into gold, that would be very useful. :LOL:

Yep,

You need a very large particle accelerator on a single run you can convert several lead atoms to gold atoms. Sadly the kit will cost you a few hundred million quid :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Yep,

You need a very large particle accelerator on a single run you can convert several lead atoms to gold atoms. Sadly the kit will cost you a few hundred million quid :LOL:

That was a stroke of luck, just found one on ebay at a bargain price. Anyone have an operating manual and will I have to noticy the bco for the wiring changes in my house?:cool:

You need a big back garden too, I think the one at CERN has a radius of a couple of miles or something like, I'm sure I could check if I could be bothered.

WRT to your electrical supply I think you're gonna need to upgrade the service fuse as well, your REC may be able to assist.

Jeez, my spelling !

Those little pictures on Ebay are deceiving aren't they! Just cancelled the order, can't aford to move at the moment. :(

As an alternative, you could see if you can get a supernova on ebay, just light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance, in this case a few hundred light years will do.

nstreet said:
Have you got any ideas for tunring lead into gold, that would be very useful. :LOL:
First forget the experts - nicking the Lead is the cheapest method - weigh it in, take the dosh, buy some gold ! ;)

pipme said:
nstreet said:
First forget the experts - nicking the Lead is the cheapest method - weigh it in, take the dosh, buy some gold ! ;)
Hard work though :!: ;)

pipme said:
nstreet said:

Man after my own heart. I used to pray to god for a ferrari then I realised it didn't work that way, so I nicked one and asked for forgiveness.

Turning lead into gold is doing it the hard way. It's much easier to start with platinum. You don't need a particle accelerator either. A natural alpha source and some beryllium will give you the free neutrons you need.

To get back to the original post, it does work and it is better than using polish but it's not foolproof. I once tried it on some badly tarnished silver plated goblets but there wasn't enough silver left. They went to a charity shop.

felix said:
Turning lead into gold is doing it the hard way. It's much easier to start with platinum. You don't need a particle accelerator either. A natural alpha source and some beryllium will give you the free neutrons you need.

To get back to the original post, it does work and it is better than using polish but it's not foolproof. I once tried it on some badly tarnished silver plated goblets but there wasn't enough silver left. They went to a charity shop.

No there has to be some silver left otherwise it won't work. I not saying that the method can replace lost silver, just that it doesn't remove any existing silver.

Re Platinum to Gold, how so ? Fusion ? Where does the additional electron and proton come from ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back