How to connect ethernet cables to two TVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have run an ethernet cable (under the floor) from my computer to a TV in another room to sometimes use catch up TV. This TV is connected to a satellite dish outside so I receive Freesat on that one. Can I run an extra ethernet cable from my computer to another TV, this TV is in the same room as my computer but due to wiring difficulties outside my home, I only receive freeview on this TV. Only one TV will be used at a time. I am assuming I can get catch up TV on Freeview? I really haven't got a clue about wiring etc., so any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That is a very confused question.

Why/how are you running a TV via a network cable connected to a computer? Normally, for CatchUp a TV uses a connection to a router. Domestic routers usually have four network sockets, if you have one spare you could run your second TV plugged into that for CatchUp. Failing a spare socket, yes you could swap the TV's over as needed, or....

You could add another router, plugged into the first one, to increase the number of available sockets.

Thank you both for your replies, I'll bet you're not as confused as me with all these wires! Yes, I meant the present ethernet wire is connected to the router, I can see there are spare network sockets at the back of the router so I will connect to one of them as you suggest. I just didn't know if the router would accept two ethernet cables especially as I have both freesat and freeview on different TVs. Whilst writing, could you please advise, I believe you can buy wi fi plugs, would one of these be suitable for the freeview set so I can receive freesat on it without further cabling? Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Some tv's use wireless anyway. My Sony will happily work on wifi or wired.
There shouldn't be an issue using two or more TVs wired to a network unless you run out of sockets- easily resolved. Many people swear by using the house mains but others say it's terrible. A cable is far better than wifi or mains repeaters.

Obviously both TVs will need the catch up apps.

Whilst writing, could you please advise, I believe you can buy wi fi plugs, would one of these be suitable for the freeview set so I can receive freesat on it without further cabling? Many thanks for your help.

I don't like them, but yes you can get them. Cable from router to plug, then from 2nd plug to TV via either wifi or cable, but requires some luck and a following wind to work reasonably well. An actual point to point cable is reliable.

Point to point ethernet is preferably , but my tplink powerline plugs are fine.

A router wont care whether u already use freesat and freeview in your TV, they're independent. Do your TVs have an ethernet in?

With your router plugged into one mains socket, connect an ethernet lead from back of router to a powerline plug in an adjacent mains socket. That powerline acts as a master and can feed several slaves, dotted around your house.
The slaves are best chosen with wifi option to give both ethernet and wifi in other rooms.

Cable from router to plug, then from 2nd plug to TV via either wifi or cable, but requires some luck and a following wind to work reasonably well.
Do you mean Power Over Ethernet? It depends on the quality of the house wiring. I've got 3 x TP-Link AV600 in my 2004-build home, and they're great. I get an average transfer of 46 Mbps, so not CAT5e speed by any means, but much better than wi-fi and without the hassle of running cable.

On the other hand, if you've got a Grade I listed property with original wiring from the 1800s, I doubt they'd be as effective :D

On the other hand, if you've got a Grade I listed property with original wiring from the 1800s, I doubt they'd be as effective :D
I'll bet even those houses are rewired to modern standards ;) our 70s house had its copper wire fuses replaced only 8 years ago though

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have fitted the new ethernet cable from router to the TV with freeview and it works well. I am going to see if I can get round the issue of freesat to this TV with extra wiring rather than the wi fi socket. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, your replies are very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Back