How to connect two small lengths of LED lights in the kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have decided to light the under side of the cabinets in my kitchen with LED strip lights connected to a 12v converter.

I have done it on one side and its working well. But I also have two small cabinets lengths with the oven between them. The lengths are about 80cms each and I would like to use just one connection tot he mains here if possible.

How can I connect the two lengths and with what wire? Can any one guide me please?

Sponsored Links
You should be able to use some thin flex - 0.5 or similar. Hiding it will be tricky

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you want a 80cm strip of LED, then a wire, then an 80cm strip of LED, and You have a 4 wire system.

The easiest way is to use "LED Strip Connectors" and "4 way Wire" with a range of products shown here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nector.TRS0&_nkw=led+strip+connector&_sacat=0 You need 4 way connectors and a length of 4 way wire.

This seller shows one working where they have cut the LED strip with scissors at one of the many designated cutting points (normally shown by lines across the strip with 4 metal pads on each side). Then slide the White connector onto the LEd strip so that its connectors land on the pads, and close the lid of the white connector to lock it. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCB-Conne...hash=item3f2ca1d98c:m:mbxspmqi1gfraD4cqcNDDTA <<< no preference for this seller and never used, just the first I saw with good photos.

Most of these Connector>>wire>>Connector links seem to have a short length of wire between them, so you either cut the wire in the middle and expend with a new longer length of 4 way wire, or you open the Connector Block and remove the short length of 4 way wire and put in you longer length of 4 way wire.

If you can use a soldering iron you can either solder the wire directly onto the 4 pads of the LED Strip, and sometimes there are 4 Solder bumps specially designed for you to solder onto.

WARNING / ALSO>>>> "My reading of their line "If you want to connect to 10 meters,replace larger power supply(more than 5A),or the light and power supply will be destroyed." is that the LED power supply they are providing will drive a maximum of 5meters of LEDs. If you have bought their 10m pack, their provided LED driver will drive a maximum of 5meters and you need to by another LED Power Supply to drive the remaining 5meters.
Regards SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Assuming that you want a 80cm strip of LED, then a wire, then an 80cm strip of LED, and You have a 4 wire system.

The easiest way is to use "LED Strip Connectors" and "4 way Wire" with a range of products shown here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nector.TRS0&_nkw=led+strip+connector&_sacat=0 You need 4 way connectors and a length of 4 way wire.

Trs of LEDs. If you have bought their 10m pack, their provided LED driver will drive a maximum of 5meters and you need to by another LED Power Supply to drive the remaining 5meters.
Regards SFK

Hi SFK,
Wow! Just when I had given up hope! Brilliant and thanks a bunch! I am giving it a shot! :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back