How to wire 2 'push to break' door switches to 1 LED driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just made a cocktail cabinet with two doors and a central division. The client wants an LED strip light to turn on when either of the doors opens.

My plan was run a single length of LED strip light along the cabinet through the central divider and run it off the one 12v driver.

In theory, by opening either of the two doors (or both), push-to-break switch on either door would turn on the light.

My question is, how do I wire up something like this?

To re-iterate, I've already got:

One 12v LED driver
A strip of adhesive LED lights and connecting lead
Two push-to-break door switches.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Karl
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Both door switches in parallel with each other, switching the mains supply to the LED driver. I would not switch the output of the driver.

Both door switches in parallel with each other, switching the mains supply to the LED driver. I would not switch the output of the driver.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand the theory of this (rather than it being in series), but do you happen to know of a diagram which would help me to wire this up? Will I need a junction box or two to put in the second switch?

Sorry - I'm a cabinet maker with very little electrical knowledge.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Earths in the empty terminal, although if your switches do not require an earth and the driver does not require an earth, you could just use some two core flex instead.

Earths in the empty terminal, although if your switches do not require an earth and the driver does not require an earth, you could just use some two core flex instead.

that's brilliant. Thanks! Yes, they've just got the two core stuff I think - no earth.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back