how to construct a timber garden outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I'm taking up a challenge.

I'm building a summer house, with a tin roof, I need help on materials. To ensure it lasts longer than Donald trumps reign of madness.

Walls, starting from the outside layer in: cladding, strips of wood to nail cladding to and provide a small gap, membrane, chip board, nailed to the wood frame, the frame will house insulation, then on the other side more chipboard, completely sealed and waterproof membrane, cladding, then a sofa so I can sit and hide from the misses.

My question is, does that layout of material sound correct? Is this the best solution to avoid wood rot? If not, then what would you suggest? If so then what type of wood foe the different parts, what membrane, insulation and wood treatment for the frame and boards?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Start with a concrete base. Then 2 courses of brick with DPM on top. Screw wooden wall plates to the brick wall. Build stud walls.

Place osb3 board around the outside.

Install insulation inside the cavity's of the stud walls.

Outside DPM over the sterling board, and clad in your preferred material.

Inside line walls with plaster board.

Roof do similar to walls

Someone else may be able to add a bit more, as I'm not sure if you need a vapour barrier anywhere.

Regards the windows and doors I'd look out for either good used double glazed units, or units that have been made wrong from factory and are being sold cheap.

It doesn't matter too much about sizing as you can build your walls to what you need

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back