How to correctly put up lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to start putting up some lining paper but wanted to check what is the correct method, I intend to:

1. Draw a straight line using a level a bit away from the the first internal corner
2. Put up first paper along the line
3 When I come to the corner I will just cut into the corner as tight as possibe
4 Then continue the some method for the next wall

Does this sound correct? and is there anything I am missing or need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume you are painting the wallpaper afterwards.

1. Yes vertical line either a very long level or a plumbline mark just slightly to the side of the paper edge so you can just still see the line alongside the paper if you paper on the line you may go over a little bit and not notice.

By the way,
I use a laser now, brilliant for getting the line spot on, mark a few points and use straight edge to join them up. I find a laser great for so many things leveling kitchen units, tiling, dado rails etc.

2. As said

3. I tend to run the edge just a tad around the corner say 1/2 inch then drop the next length down in the corner just overlapping to avoid gaps opening up, or you can do as you suggest and run a finger full of decorators mastic down the corner joint.

4. Carry on as said

5. Make tea stand back and admire :D

Sponsored Links
Just be aware most corners aren't square so measure from your plumb line into the corner at the top, middle and bottom and cut your paper to the longest measurement plus say10-20mm to go round the corner as mentioned. Personally i don't like running caulk down the corners because its too smooth against the slightly textured paper. One other thing is adhere to soaking times to avoid problems and let the paper dry naturally with the central heating off.

Sorry one last question about this, when you say:

I tend to run the edge just a tad around the corner say 1/2 inch then drop the next length down in the corner just overlapping, do you mean a full length or do I still have to cut it into the corner after marking the line with level?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks.

Trim the overlaping length into the corner, unless the corner is very straight ;)

Great, so just same method as before but just trim/cut into corner instead of letting it go 1/2 inch round the corner.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back