How to cover double socket after conservatory removal

nbr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a new house, where the previous owners had a very basic conservatory with 2 double sockets in it.

I am removing the conservatory and converting one of the 2 double sockets to an external IP66 socket. The other double socket is though redundant, given its location and the space that an external IP66 socket would take there.

I have therefore terminated the wiring behind the redundant socket with terminal blocks and am now wondering what is the best way to cover up that socket. I don't suppose a standard blanking plate can be used for external use? I also thought of a brick buster plate, assuming some of that size exist, even though I would have no actual wire coming out of it.

A picture of the socket in question is attached, showing that the existing electric box and cover are not completely flush with the brickwork, i.e. a blanking plate might leave some gaps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

• 20221218_105428.jpg
    20221218_105428.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Not sure that terminal blocks are ok?
are they real stone blocks or some kind of slips?

can you find the other end of the feed for the unwanted socket?
is this set up a ring?

They are reconstituted stones.

The previous owners disconnected the wiring from the sockets, knowing I was going to remove the conservatory, but left the wiring floating behind the plate (!) so I thought of terminal blocks as a temp solution. The conservatory is still there, btw, so the terminal blocks are something until I work out what to do with that sockets once the conservatory gets removed.

I know there is a socket on the inside, at the same location as the conservatory socket (but inside) and this is in the kitchen.

Not sure how I go about finding the end of the feed.

Other option is to covert the unwanted socket to an external socket too, but bulky. You'll see from the pic attached that I would end up with 2 external double sockets (from the conservatory) plus a single external socket already existing (you see that in the pic on the right, with a dark grey cover, just behind the conservatory edge). The socket that becomes external is the one between the 2 doors, the unwanted socket is the other one...

Attachments

• 20221219_122714.jpg
    20221219_122714.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
There is also the option of removing the metal back box and filling in the hole with a spare brick...

Not sure where I would put the wiring though

The socket may be spurred off from the back of the kitchen socket. If so, then it is easy to remove the spur cable, remove the external socket and back box then fill hole with whatever method you feel appropriate.

Last edited:
Spot on conny. I have just removed the spur cable pulling from the kitchen socket, removed external socket and its back box and now just left with hole.

Will fill in with plastic back box and blanking tape while I get a brick to fill the hole in.

Attachments

• 20221227_103525.jpg
    20221227_103525.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221227_104104.jpg
    20221227_104104.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 51
Out of interest it looks like a well built conservatory. Why do you want to remove it?

Also what are you doing with the conservatory?

If you do not want it nor are trying to sell it on there will still be people that would want to reuse it and may even come and take it down for you if they can have it for free.
A conservatory was one of the things offered on Freegle when I first joined many years ago, I think you'll find several people would be interested in preventing it from going to landfill.

Out of interest it looks like a well built conservatory. Why do you want to remove it?
takes space in the garden / patio area plus the way the back of the house is built (and it was built without the conservatory, which was added by the previous owner) means in order to get to the garden / patio you need to go through the conservatory, i.e. there is no direct access from the house to the garden / patio. Not a great fan of conservatories, plus its size is long and very narrow

Also what are you doing with the conservatory?

If you do not want it nor are trying to sell it on there will still be people that would want to reuse it and may even come and take it down for you if they can have it for free.
A conservatory was one of the things offered on Freegle when I first joined many years ago, I think you'll find several people would be interested in preventing it from going to landfill.

The previous owner agreed to remove it for me and will take it and install it in his new place

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back