Outdoor Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a couple of sockets to the outside of my house to be able to run a water feature pump and some external lights. I have a IP66 rated waterproof double socket for the outside but need to know if I can take the feed for this from a internal double socket.

Will I need to use a Fused Spur unit ?

The water pump is rated at 45 Watts and the lights are 10 watts each. Total for the lights is 60 watts

Sponsored Links
The way to do this is to convert the double socket to a dual socket. Then one one side you have a single socket and the other side a 13A FCU.
Alternatively, if you still need the double socket, spur off to a 13A FCU and take your outside sockets from that.
I am assuming your double socket is RCD protected, if not use an RCD protected FCU.
Remember this work is notifiable to LABC.

you use a dual box

this is a metal (or plastic) backbox that is a bit wider than a double-socket box. It holds two single accessories.

Sponsored Links
Outdoor sockets fixed to the building come under Part P of the Building Regulations and must be notified the Planning Officer or carried out by a Part P Registered electrician. They must also be 30mA RCD protected.

It's worth noting that ALL garden fixed electrical installations come under Part P.

Actually it's worth noting that Part P applies to all work on electrical installations that are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are:
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

I know you meant "notifiable" when you said "come under", but people often forget that whoever does any work, even changing a light switch, is legally bound to comply with P1.

I can see that pedantry is your strong..er ...weak point :D But yes, on a point of pedantry, I stand corrected :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back