Conservatory sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

Probably a basic question but....

We've just moved into a new house with conservatory attached. In the conservatory are two blank double sockets.

I've removed the cover and there are two twin and earth cables coming out with what looks like little slack which is annoying. Why the sockets weren't just wired up I don't know. The cables are just bare.

Firstly, why would there be two twin and earth cables in each? Are they a spur?

Secondly, If I were to want to wire some double sockets am I right in saying I can just join the two live, the two neutral and two Earth cables together? Or do I use one of the cables only and leave the other one?

Also, if I wanted to put in an outside socket can I simply use one of these sockets and spur off it (providing it isn't a spur already as I can't spur twice can I).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the circuit was wired in a non compliant way by a builder, then after testing at some later point they were then blanked off by an electrician to make the installation compliant with the wiring regulations. It would be reckless to just connect things to the existing wiring without properly testing to see what is going on.

There may be 2 in each if it is a ring final circuit.

If it is a radial, the last on the run would have one in it.

You may have to do some investigation as to where the supply comes from for these outlets.

It may be because they are not connected in the conservatory, they are not connected at source.

It may even be a part-finished job.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm no conservatory expert but the previous occupants always has any work done to a high standard so I doubt it was a dodgy builder. I see what you're saying though.

It's a newish house built in 2000 but not sure when the conservatory was built.

I guess it might be easier to call a sparky in to see if it's all ok to use.

Sponsored Links
Or maybe they were expensive metalclad highly polished brass things with USB outlets & the tightwad owners didn't want to leave them. Are there any pics of the conservatory in the estate agents stuff- be worth a look to see if the blank plate were there then.

EDIT Are you saying the cables have been stripped & just left bare behind the faceplate? V naughty but if so, have a look at the stripped ends, see if there's sign that they were made off at some stage (dents from the screws in the socket).

Firstly, why would there be two twin and earth cables in each?
Because each one is not an end of a radial circuit.

Are they a spur?
Why would a spur have two cables?

Or do I use one of the cables only and leave the other one?
arg.gif

As hinted at, it may be the wiring was put in for future use perhaps.

The cables need tracing back to were they go - which could be in the loft, or the back of a socket, or under the floor, or even at the consumer unit.

It all needs researching - a pro may be the best option.

A friend of mine had something similar in a house he bought. Turned out that the cable feeding the sockets had be laid in the concrete floor and somehow, somewhere, had become damaged and had been disconnected. Not necessarily the situation in your case, but one possible scenario. Only by tracing the cable and testing it, would you be able to determine, what the situation is with your installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back