How to cover one artex pattern with another?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I definitely know my limitations, so I am not going to attempt this, but get a Plasterer/Artexer to do it instead!

For some strange reason the bungalow I have moved into has a lounge diner (L shaped) with an archway between the lounge and dining parts. In the Lounge the ceiling has artex swirly gigs (which I can suffer but She who must be obeyed can't stand it). The dining area has light stipple artex on the ceiling.

The artex was done when the bungalow was built in 1993.

Now She who must etc.... has decided she wants the whole lounge diner with a light stipple artex ceiling. She doesn't want nice smooth skimmed lounge diner ceilings, she wants both artex light stipple like the rest of the bungalow.

So that means, I assume, remove the sticky out bits from the swirls and then skim and then artex.

Or (and I am getting to the point now) after the sticky out bits have been taken off can artex just go on top of artex? :?:

Now I have had a good guy in for plastering and he seems to be a little bit hesitant about stippling over. I don't think his reticence is due to the aesthetics of artex, but I can't really get the reason why he seems uncomfortable about putting stipple on. Is it a dodgy practice? :?:

Or should I get an Artexer to do it (although I always thought Plasterers wouldn't have any problem with Artex) :?:

Sponsored Links
You need to take off any high peaks or knobbly bits.
Scraper should do that.
The using artex ceiling finish to smooth out , then leave until it becomes firm but still moist/damp. You can then re-texture again by applying more artex ceiling finish and do your patterns as SHMBO's desires ;)

Artex is about as fashionable as farting at you mother-in-laws posh dinner party these days :LOL: . Why compound bad taste with "new" Artex, get it skimmed nice & flat, not a problem for any decent spread. Square corner flat ceilings are definitely “in”. ;)

why not just over skim it so its nice and smooth
better then trying too set in new artex over the top
its a pain in the arse

Sponsored Links
What we must remember is NotVeryGoodAtDIYbutSkint is an oppressed male and is under orders by SHMBO.
If he does not obey, he will not get his tea or other special treats ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back