How to create a metal lip to hold a cable reel

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice + any ideas of how to create a metal 'lip' to hold a cable reel.

See below for the cable reel:

S3KMTHm.jpeg

I need 'something' to hold the middle part so that the black part can be rotated.

I found something similar - but can't find where to buy!
See below:

E8ABpc2.png

I'd love ready made. But then also OK to try and construct myself with a few bolts if needed!

I'm just not 100% sure about how best to make something that will take the weight and not bend over time.
For argument sake, assume the weight it needs to hold is 2kg.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you're fixing the installation just screw a small piece of eg 3x2 to the wall then drill holes in the yellow plastic centre and screw through it into the wood

1707033287855.png

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I missed saying I needed to put on a wall ‍‍ But you figured that out.
All replies super helpful
I need an angle bracket or a joist hanger
@robinbanks great suggestion as well - now I'm thinking this might be the best solution - get screws long enough.
I'll experiment and see how I get on now thanks to your replies.

A couple of suitable sized J hooks or they're sometimes referred to as garage hooks would work fine.

Easy to make with this .

Simplest method would be to drill the yellow arm and put 2 screws thru with a packer (couple of short lengths of tube) at the back to keep it away from the wall.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Easy to make with this .

Simplest method would be to drill the yellow arm and put 2 screws thru with a packer (couple of short lengths of tube) at the back to keep it away from the wall.
Drilling through the yellow part and adding packers - that's what I was planning :)

I've got the item now... the thing is, I wanted to be able to turn the wheel.
Which I can do. But I've tried putting the cable on and it's simply too heavy!
The cable is EV charging cable. Turning becomes hard now, not impossible though.
If given that, I might as well just screw the back of the black part onto the wall and have a much more secure connection - loosing the ability to turn. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

Wasn't sure what you meant with the galvanised thing though.

The cable is EV charging cable. Turning becomes hard now, not impossible though.
If given that, I might as well just screw the back of the black part onto the wall and have a much more secure connection - loosing the ability to turn. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

Might a wall mount garden hosepipe reel work?

I'm not sure it would would it as with a hosepipe reel there's a separate short run of hose that connects the reel to the tap and then the main hose also connects to the reel.

I'm not sure it would would it as with a hosepipe reel there's a separate short run of hose that connects the reel to the tap and then the main hose also connects to the reel.

Rather than reel it up....

Just an open sided reel, fixed to the wall, and then place the cable just looped onto the reel, in large loops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back