What tool/method to use to hold washer in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have got a bolt which I need to unscrew from my Cross trainer arm. It just keeps rotating no matter how much I turn. I have realised that together with it it rotates washer and the whole"mechanism/setup" inside. However I cannot find a way to hold washer in place while unscrewing the bolt.

Can you please recommend a tool or method which I can use.

See pictures below

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Holding washer still will be of no use as the other end can still rotate, if the other end is not accessible then it may be an expanding bolt which is slipping round, a drill with socket mounted can be used at high rpm to spin the bolt and friction heats it causing it to expand and suddenly [watch your wrist]release the bolt.
Can you access other end.?

Hi,

Unfortunately cannot access other end. And actually just realised I may have confused (dunno why I though so) it does not rotate the inside.

Tried it with the drill for about 30 seconds but unfortunately no result.
For some reason I feel that if I stop washer from moving with the bolt I will be to get them out. Although its probably wrong and not related.

Thanks

Have you tried pulling on the bolt? So grip the bolt with some mole grips from the front and pull forward while unscrewing.

Sponsored Links
You could try putting a ring spanner on the bolt and striking it with a light hammer. If the bolt isn't too loose in the gubbins, the shock could loosen it.

Alternatively, you could try holding the washer with some slip-joint water pump pliers or mole wrench and turning the bolt with some king of socket spanner.

I've got a nasty feeling that the bearing/bush might be broken, which is why the bolt won't undo... I could be wrong - i wouldn't know a cross-trainer from a cross-dresser! :LOL:

You could try putting a ring spanner on the bolt and striking it with a light hammer. If the bolt isn't too loose in the gubbins, the shock could loosen it.

Alternatively, you could try holding the washer with some slip-joint water pump pliers or mole wrench and turning the bolt with some king of socket spanner.

I've got a nasty feeling that the bearing/bush might be broken, which is why the bolt won't undo... I could be wrong - i wouldn't know a cross-trainer from a cross-dresser! :LOL:
OP does not have a stuck bolt, quite the opposite. :rolleyes:

On the other end of yonder bolt there will be a nut - probably of the nyloc self locking kind.
Its this nut that you need to access to allow the bolt to unscrew.
John :)

or it could be a riv-nut in the frame that is lose and just turns with the bolt..
if you can "wedge" a screwdriver into the gap between the two parts of te frame ( ie the fixed bit and the arm that swings ) then that will apply pressure on the bolt and whatever it's screwed into and may hold the other end in place while you unscrew it..

photo's of the other side / different angles of the joint might help us with more suggestions for you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back