How to cut a clean, even 'chase' for lead flashing

IMG_20200322_164200.jpg
not sure if you mean the whole job, or just the two chases. Prob don't look that diff from there. But the bottom of upper (2nd) chase is flat and straight while the other made with two meandering slits was a dog's dinner.

Perhaps it would have worked out fine but like most things it's not knowing tolerances/margins.

The leadwork is very unlikely to look any good at all, but that's another task.
So hard to get a fold to happen crisply where you want it to. Bloody stuff seems to have a mind of its own.

Sponsored Links
looks neat enough, id call that painted pebble dash rather than rough cast though.. a bit easier.

the lead should be easy , provided the chase is deep enough

looks neat enough, id call that painted pebble dash rather than rough cast though.. a bit easier.

the lead should be easy , provided the chase is deep enough

If you say so... The surface isn't very friendly to the touch!
Was wondering about this point you might advise on.... Lead working on YouTube is not like real life. It dents easy!

Once I have clipped the lead in place, I would were it brick or smooth render, beat the drop tight to the wall to make the corner coming out of the chase nice and tight... Which will recover some length from my vague corners...
Trouble is, if I whack the drop the (not very round) pebbles will look like woodchip! Or pierce the lead.

Now I have washed off all the dust is rather not grind off the worst of the peaks.

What are my options?

And does this belongs somewhere else ..leadwork section?

Cheers, Tom

Sponsored Links
yes i say so, and i doubt.
This post should be deleted it could encourage others to try a dangerous practice , The next person who tries it might not be so lucky.

This post should be deleted it could encourage others to try a dangerous practice ...
Maybe.
But if it doesn't, I should add, again, that a sample of one just not a safe method make, and that I was kidding when I mentioned removing the guard. Never remove the guard.

Right tool for the job is always the answer- got a wall chaser from Machine Mart years ago (it was in the bargain bin- return of some sort- so £25). Has 3 blades & a load of spacers so you can vary chase width and depth, is designed to run flat to the wall against a batten or guide rail and the dust extraction is pretty good. Only problems are its a bit heavy to use one handed in awkward places (like on a roof) and needs a fair bit (100mm) of clear wall both sides of the chase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back