how to do lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys...ive got a pitched roof against a wall....i need to install some lead flashing code 4 which ive just bought...its about 8 inches wide 3 metres long...which is what i need...how do i start ?....got an angle grinder with a diamond tip cutting disc....i was gonna cut into the bricks about 2.5 inches above the tile in a parallel line...cut about an inch into the brick wall...how wide does the cut in the wall has to be to allow me to do the pointing ?...how do i keep the lead in the wall ?....cheers

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about doing lead flashing but would it not be better to rake out a line of mortar rather than cutting into the bricks? Then you can stick the flashing into the mortar line and repoint.

Regards

Fred

from what i've seen, flashing is put into the mortar line and stepped to suit the pitch of the roof..

to hold the lead into the gaps you cut a small piece of lead, fold it in half and use it as a wedge, tapped in with a bolster or something flat.

Sponsored Links
officially you should have a 150mm upstand and at least 100mm covering the tile top. it is acceptable to go to the nearest mortar joint even if it is less than 150mm.

you will need to chase out this mortar joint with a grinder to a depth of 20-25mm.

cut the lead into 1500mm lengths.

you will then need to form the lead into shape on the ground using timber planks and a lead dresser. first shape the 20mm chase by tapping the lead over the plank and forming a lip. then carefully bend the lead to form the pitch of the roof, again using the plank.

offer the lead into place and secure with lead wedges. overlap the joints by at least 150mm. point the mortar joint with mortar or 'leadmate'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back