How to cut lining paper round this arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to paper the chimney breast. I'm wondering about the best way of trimming round the arch. I'm going to run three lengths down it - one in the middle, one either side. The rendering is about half an inch thick and is tapered back in to the brick. Ideally I want to follow the not so straight line of the arch and leave the lip itself exposed. Cutting it blind would be difficult though. I think it would be easier to turn the paper round the lip and cut it where it meets the brick.

Any suggestions? I though about making a stencil but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_204123.jpg
    IMG_20171110_204123.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20171110_204110.jpg
    IMG_20171110_204110.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
The arch is so weaves s badly, that you're never going to make a good job of it. You really need to try and tidy it up with a generous amount of filler, and then sand it down to get it neat, then take the paper down the wall, and underneath it.

It’ll look terrible if you paper it. Paint the breast and make a feature of it.

I agree not papering it and painting it would be preferable. The problem is that the breast is lined with wood on the edges and the plaster has cracked down the length where the wood meets the brick. I thought about filling it but there's too much movement in the wood and I think it will eventually crack again.

I could just paper round the corner, maybe an inch into the face of the breast, to cover the crack and do my best to make the seams less visible.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of th corner and the cracks, and we'll see if there's another solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back