How to deal with mould!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I had some secondary glazing put in a few months ago. Since then Ive had mould develop around just two of the windows - I presume becasue of lack of air circulation and condensation.

3.jpg

Im looking to paint every room in the house. How can I deal with this mould? Is there some mould resistent paint/solution I can buy? Will this eradicate the problem permanently?

I did hear of some extraction fan thing that you install in the loft and it keeps the air circulating around the house. Have you heard of this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Paints won't solve the problem but can help. Dulux Trade Mouldshield (eggshell or matt) is good for this but the mould really needs to be eradicated at source which, as mentioned, usually means improving ventilation (seems to be your case) or sorting out any damp problems.

Have to agree with the others as it seem like poor air circulation. Once sorted you could wash down with a fungicidal solution then apply 2 coats of anti mould paint. Misterhelpful recommends a good product and there are a lot to choose from depending on budget and finish!

Sponsored Links
The application of an anti mould paint system will only ****** the formulation of mould and fungal growth, it will not provide a cure. Trace the source of the contamination then remove any active spores with an anti fungicidal wash prior to decorating.

Dec

Thanks guys, very useful.

An electrician once told me of a fan you can install in the loft which keeps the air circulating and removes/deters mould formation. Have any of you heard of that? (Should this post be moved into another forum for that to be answered?)

Other than have the window open (which is impractical during cold winters), this seems to be the only solution. There isnt a damp problem in the house - only poor air circulation since I had the secondary glazing put in.

Thanks.

An electrician once told me of a fan you can install in the loft which keeps the air circulating and removes/deters mould formation. Have any of you heard of that? (Should this post be moved into another forum for that to be answered?).
There are certainly a range of ventilation systems that can be fitted in the loft space or otherwise. Ranging from a simple fanroom-extractor type through to a full whole-house heat recovery ventilation or 'MVHR' system with obvious increasing cost implications. But certianly ventilation is and or reduced moisture required.

Daniel

Thanks, Ill Google it now. Does anyone have any good experience with any particular brand/model?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back