Mould found under existing paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and am fairly inexperienced on the DIY front, so would appreciate some pointers on an issue I'm facing with my new house.

One of the rooms in the house has a sloped ceiling with a Velux window, and I noticed that there was some very minor mould patches along the wall under the window. The position of the mould seemed to match where the previous owner's had positioned the bed.

I wasn't really sure what to do with it, so I just started rolling on a coat of emulsion over the top of it (like I said before, "fairly inexperienced").

While rolling over the wall, a large patch of the existing paint came loose and exposed more mould underneath;

I got a scraper and started scrapping back some more to see the extent of the mould;

Just for context, here's where it appears on the wall;

I haven't gone any further than this, as I think I need some input from others with experience of this sort of thing.

I've picked up some mould treatment spray and anti-mould paint from B&Q, but haven't used them yet. I also have a lend of a sander to help me get the rest of the paint off this wall if that's appropriate.

What would you advise? I was thinking of sanding back the rest of the paint, treating the plaster with the anti-mould spray, then putting on the anti-mould paint before painting over that again with just emulsion or whatever.

Does that sound sensible?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Providing there is no ingress of moisture and no apparent leaks, scrape and sand the areas then apply a coat of Alkali Resisting Primer. You should then be ok to continue.

Dec

Providing there is no ingress of moisture and no apparent leaks, scrape and sand the areas then apply a coat of Alkali Resisting Primer. You should then be ok to continue.

Dec

Thanks TheDec - I'll take a trip to B&Q to pick a tin of primer up :)

About the sanding - there seems to be a layer of thin white paper (which you can see the mould on in the photos). Is this something that needs replaced after it's been scraped off? Or is it OK to just get down to the plaster, then apply the primer, and then the anti-mould paint over the top of that ?

I think your best bet here is to apply the primer and when dry face fill the area lightly sand until smooth and aply another coat of primer before you continue.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Just one thing don't forget to apply the mould treatment before the primer, when that is dry then apply your primer, alslo is that wall plasterboard, if not the paper you speak of is probably lining paper.

Dec

Great, thanks for the advice Dec. I'm going to make a start on the sanding tonight so will hopefully have the room sorted out soon enough.

One last question though - you say "apply the primer and when dry face fill the area lightly" <-- what does "face fill the area" mean?

Cheers,
Chris

Chris

Prime the area first, apply it both fully and evenly, when dry fill the area slightly proud of the existing paintwork (face filling). When dry lightly sand until smooth dust off and apply another coat of primer, when dry lightly dust off and you should be ok to apply your Emulsion.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back