How to dig a hole or 20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi At the risk of sounding dumb I would like some info on digging fence post holes.

I had 3 meter fence panels before with 4inch posts in concrete but I am about to put up a fence with 1.8m panels so the posts will mostly not coincide with the old pole positions. I have dug this ground before and it is very tough, the top layer is quite hard, but about 6 to 12inches down is clay and then chalk. I have managed to dig it before but it was not easy at all.

Question now is what to use this time as I have to dig a load of holes and I want to go down 2 feet. First there are those post hole diggers that look like two odd shaped spades joined together, how good are they, I mean will I be able to push them down into the ground in the first place to dig up some ground especially with my layers? It would be good to hear from people who have used them.

Second there is those that have a sort of cutting disc on the end of a bar thingys which you twist to wind them into the ground, are they going to be any good for my tough ground?

And lastly I checked the hire charges for this and considering it may take a while I thought about buying a second hand petrol hole borer from ebay using it and then selling it. Don't think it will cost a lot in the end that way, only trouble is someone told me with 4inch posts you really want a 12inch borer and it seems really hard to find a 12inch one most come with 9inch or less and that would only give me 2 1/2inch of cement all round which they reckon was possible to crack. Also with these, what happens to the corkscrew blade thingy if it hits a house brick or similar?

Any guidance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have just dug 58 holes using a one-man 9" post-hole borer in a day. Depth varied up to about 18"

The ground was clay and I was advised to use water as I 'dug' - that worked well.

I recommend this kind of device but it is hard work. When a stone is hit (let alone a brick) the blade snags and you stop !

I suspect that a 12" borer would probably be too hard for 1 or 2 men to hold) And 9" is OK for the 4" posts.

Hire cost was about £45 for the day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back