How do I dig a deep hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to dig a hole 1100mm deep to install a driveway security post, and the task ive set myself has just dawned on me :eek:

I was thinking that the hole would need to be about 2ft square, but that doesnt give me much room to manouvre my spade. Once I get beyond 50cm deep I guess it will start getting difficult. I have a post digging spade with the pointed end, but I think Ive set myself a difficult task.

Should I hire one of those corkscrew hole digging machines?

Should I be posting this in the 'Building' section?

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
BP will be selling some of its drilling rigs soon at bargain prices to get some cash up :idea:

dig a bigger hole and concrete it in

The instructions suggest part filling around the post with hardcore/gravel and then concreting the top part.

But ive got to dig the blummin hole first :confused:

Ive recently purchased some BP shares so pehaps they will come and do it for me?

Sponsored Links
one of these
QPIPostHoleDigger92380.gif

or one of these
post-hole-digger.jpg

what is the post protecting? i had to get a car past one once so just reversed towbar into it and bent it over

long handled shovel and a vacuum cleaner you don't mind knackering..

you'll have to keep emptying it but it saves scraping it out a bit at a time..

Im putting it in front of my Land Rover.

Ive bought a heavy duty commercial post. It has a lift up weight of 27kg, but has a hydraulic lift assist (so the wife can do it for me).

Mostly a visible deterrant.

long handled shovel and a vacuum cleaner you don't mind knackering..

you'll have to keep emptying it but it saves scraping it out a bit at a time..

Never heard of that method, I guess the wifes new Dyson ball will do it :D

just be aware that there may be gas, electric, phone, cable tv, water etc running under the driveway so look out for sand etc at depths greater than 400mm..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back