Spacing out fence posts for 6ft lap panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on erecting a new fence and currently planning out the project. In broad terms, here's what I had in mind:

1. Tie a line from start to end to understand where the fence post holes need to be dug
2. Dig 2.5ft holes that are 12inch square to accommodate the 6ft panels and 9ft posts
3. Use two bags of postcrete per post?
4. Set posts at 6ft intervals and check that they are level

My concern with #4 is that if I set the posts at exactly 6ft, is there a risk that the panels may be slightly wider/narrower and hence I have issues when trying to position the panels?

I'd appreciate some best practice with this please. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Fit the panels as you go.
Have a few bits of timber to act as temporary braces. You could dig the holes in advance, as any compound error will be minimal but to be honest, it's as easy to dig, post, concrete, measure 6feet, dig, post, add panel and post, concrete and repeat.

Buy a post hole digger

Perhaps I am being unduly concerned. I am inclined to set the posts at 6ft intervals as a first step (plumb and level as I go along) and then come back to slide in the panels once the concrete has dried.

If you really insist on doing it your way, (Tigercubrider was spot on with his method) then at least place the gravel boards as you go. Then you are much more likely to avoid errors. Although if your posts are not perfectly vertical, you could still experience difficulty in sliding in the panel.
Have you ever tried sliding panels in? A little bit of wind, there goes one panel, sailing off into a neighbour's garden.
Think about it. You are using 6ft panels. You are using 9ft posts, with 6ft 6in showing you'll have to lift your panels something like 6ft 6in in the air to slide them in.
With luck you'll have hold of the bottom 6in of the panel to control it in the wind.
If you're on steps, the panel will lift you clean off the steps in the wind.

Sponsored Links
Definitely hadn’t appreciated that. Thanks for emphasising that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back