Fencing query, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope you can help.

I haven't erected a fence before so could do with some help please!

I've decided to go for a 6ft fence above ground level, in a hit & miss arrangement for the rails to allow the wind to pass through. The total length of the fence would be just over 19ft. I know I need to dig 2ft into the ground to set the posts. I've been told the quick-setting post mix is good to go for.

The trouble is that the fence is going to be put up on a slope. At the highest point, the end post needs to be 6ft above ground level, so 8ft in all. How can I measure exactly horizontally and accurately from the top of the post at the top of the slope along the 19ft length to determine how tall I need the post at the bottom of the slope to be?

The post at the lower end of the slope may need to be 8ft or 9ft above ground level to maintain the same height as the first post at 6ft above ground level.

I know you can gradually step the panels/rails at each post but I'd like to maintain the same level across the whole length.

Where do I stand with the local planning office if the height of the fence at the shortest post is 6ft?

Many thanks. Any help is much appreciated, J.P.

Sponsored Links
the fence will always be 6 feet above the ground. you have a choice of either following the contours of the land, or stepping it.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm just concerned with the height starting off at 6ft at the highest part of the slope and being higher as the bank slopes. At the lowest part, the post above ground level might need to be 8ft+ to maintain an exact horizon. Did you have chance to see my photo?

Many thanks, Jon-Paul.

three choices then having looked at the photo.

option 1 do it as youve drawn it which will look too high, and need deeper post foundations because of the wind loading

option 2 do a small amount of excavation along the length of the slope so the gravel board can sit on a diagonal to follow the slope, or 3

do a short section at the top, on the flat part, have a post at the change of contour and follow it down the slope at 6 feet

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your advice. What is gravel board though? Is it different to the horizontal rails from post to post?

Thanks, J.P.

I'm all for making it as easy as possible, but I really do need to make the fence height as level as possible, so the dogs can't see across the driveway and make an attempt for freedom.

As you can see from the photo, the grassed area in the background is more or less level, whereas the area for the proposed fence isn't, but the level of the fence needs to be level to stop them seeing the drive, road, field etc and wanting to escape.

I hope you're with me so far. Thanks, J.P.

right with you now.

with regards planning, fences on a boundary are limited to 6 feet 6 inches, unless they front onto a road, but this looks as if it may be halfway up your proprerty and not on a boundary, so probably will be ok. Best make a quick phone call to check.

with regards the post, i would buy a longer post, fix that at the bottom of the slope and the 6 feet post at the top of the slope in position. You can then construct the fence between the two, using a spirit level and once complete trim the post down to suit. The depth of hole for the posts will need to be deeper as well.

A gravel board is a borad that runs along teh bottom of the fence parallel and touching the soil. the idea is that this will rot through first and can be replaced, rather than the bottom of all the rails rotting and having to be replaced.

does that all make sense?

Just a thought looking at the picture, but would it not be possible to erect the fence the other side of the tree where the ground looks more level?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back