How to disguise hairline crack in wood/board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a decorative ornament that's painted black. I don't know what material it is made of, whether some type of board or wood.

It is about 1.5cm thick and a hairline crack has been caused from a screw going into it. I don't wish to go to the trouble and expense of 'fixing' it.I'm merely looking for a simple method of disguising the crack. Something like colouring it in with black marker would be fine, however, the crack is too thin for the tip of a marker to go into. Is there some sort of fine black powder that can be found around the house that can be pressed into the crack and smoothed over so that the crack cannot easily be seen? When the wood is pressed between the thumb and forefinger, the crack closes a little and is less visible but once it is let go of, it can clearly be seen.

Is there anything else that would be suitable? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I forgot to add that I would prefer something that wouldn't leave a smell, but thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can give it a try.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back