How to drain my boiler? (pics included)

Sponsored Links
All 3 red circled parts in your second pic are drain valves one on the flow and one on the return for the radiators and one for the domestic water, you attach a hose to these then open the square nut to drain them

When facing the boiler the far left hand 22mm pipe is the return feed, follow this and you should have a drainoff tap close to the elbow (looks to be the lowest red circle on the right)

So Do i just drain it from that lowest red cock then (return one)? do i not bother with the other 2?

Sponsored Links
Shocks, if you getting so much advice on draining it, with the greatest respect, should you actually be doing it?

I only ask as you don't seem confident and have two threads going regarding this.

Why would you want to drain it?

Thanks Ti.

As to Robbj... we all have to learn from somewhere. I dont know the technical terms for all the boiler parts. Now that TI has explained it. it doesnt seem difficult at all.

Confidence comes through knowledge and experience. Which I attend to attain. Thanks

no use both of the ones on the larger pipes to completely drain the system or you will still have some water in some of the pipes , why do you want to drain it anyway? you only need to completely drain a system if you are leaving it unattended in freezing conditions

Shocks, if you getting so much advice on draining it, with the greatest respect, should you actually be doing it?

I only ask as you don't seem confident and have two threads going regarding this.

Why would you want to drain it?

Might also be worth noting that constantly topping up a sealed system may have done some damage over time as you're introducing more air into the system.

May need fresh water and inhibitor or even flushing out first.

yes that'ss the problem actually. Over time I have to call the C.H expert in a few times to drain the boiler and refill it (that's all hes really been doing) and has been charging me.

Main problem being that the hot water goes cold in short intervals which makes showering not as nice. So this is the reason I decided to do it myself. You're right I might need to call a proper expert and get it flushed.

He wont drain it and refill it he will just top up the pressure something you can easily do yourself as said you dont normally need to completely drain a system

like i said for future purposes Rob. Dont need to do it now. Hardly the crime of the century.

He wont drain it and refill it he will just top up the pressure something you can easily do yourself as said you dont normally need to completely drain a system

I know he drains it because he uses a hose pipe. (asks me for one).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back