How to Drain the Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a leaking Radiator which I would like to replace. I also would like to reroute the pipes. I live in a first floor flat. My problem is I have looked for the valve to drain the heating system but cannot find it. None of the radiators have a drain valve on them. The system uses a Combi Boiler.

Please can you advise me of the best way to drain the system.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

paul

Sponsored Links
if you can shut both the rad valves on the rad and hold a rag on the air vent and release the pressure then place a tray under the valve slacken the joint to the rad and drain /remove the rad.
then you can drain the rest of the system from the rad valves.

place a hose on the rad valve open valve and drain.

when you fit the new pipework add a drain point.

Hi Seco Services

Thanks for your advice. I'm not a Plumber so thought I would just confirm a couple of details. I have shut both rad valves. When you say hold a rag on the air vent. Is this the bleeder on the Radiaitor ??

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi Seco Services

Sorry to bother you again. I think this maybe my last question. How do I refill the Heating system :confused:

regards

Paul

Paul,
Somewhere under your combi boiler is a flexible braided steel hose called a filling loop. This fills the central heating pipework from the incoming mains supply. It is not meant to be left connected to the pipework and so you may need to search for it or, if needs be, buy a replacement. However, most people leave it connected to the pipework, but with the tap closed.

Check the new rad is correctly connected with all joints tight and all radiator bleed screws closed. Open the filling loop and water will flow into the central heating pipework. The pressure dial on the combi will increase.
Fill until dial reads 2 bar and shut off filling loop.
Bleed all rads keeping an eye on pressure dial as it will drop when rads are bled. Top up pressure using the filling loop as required. When all rads are bled and you are finished the pressure dial should read approx 1.5 bar, with the system cold.

Good Luck.

Paul.

Hi barnetboy

Thanks for your mail. That's great. I know exactly the flexi hose you are talking about. It is still connected.

Thanks again

regards

paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back