How to draw side elevation where there is a slope?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am submitting a CoL for PD for a Porch. The site slopes from left side down to right side (c80cm fall over 14m). The Porch sits centrally on the front elevation (adjacent ground is c40cm lower than left side, c40cm higher than right side).

Below is the current Right Elevation drawing but appears to show the Porch at 3.4m (I have annotated a redline to mark the ground level at Porch).

How is this best drawn on the elevation?
i. Leave as it is, any measurements will be taken from front elevation;
ii. Crop the porch 40cm from the bottom, show 2 lines marking respective ground levels;
iii. Other?

A_side_elevation.png

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The porch doesn't extend to the right (nearside) flank.

So the ground line at the right (nearside) flank is lower than at the porch.

Is this ok?

A_side_elevation2.png

Sponsored Links
All getting a bit detailed for an LDC on a porch, as FMT says just indicate the ground level on each elevation. if you are sure it's PD, why bother with n LDC.
Your measurements need to be taken from ground level adjacent to the building on the relevant elevation, if that land also slopes within the confines of the build then take it at the highest point within the footprint

Last edited:
Detail is due to trying to ensure the CoL doesn't fail on account of appearing to exceed 3m from the side elevation.

There is no one ground level as the building is stepped.

This is the front. I have taken the view that the planning officer will use this view to determine the height (so the ground level on the side elevation in relation to the porch is not an issue).

Hoping to submit CoL this week.

Porch2.jpg

no you are OK it applies exactly at the point you have it measured and providing the external footprint doesn't exceed 3 sqm, you're good to go.
I hope there isn't anything you have missed as you have gone to a lot of trouble for an LDC. a simple sketch with dimensions added and maybe backed up with a few photos would have been sufficient.

Thanks. There are also other (potentially more complex) elements, namely a rear bay window that affect a PD rear extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back