How to edge a path that drops off on one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently, one edge of the path that runs down the side of my house & to the back of the garden is sat ~30-40cm higher than the ground level of the house it joins onto.
It is currently block paved, with a wooden fence going down to ground level on the neighbours side.

The edge of the path seems to be falling away slightly (It doesn't look like the edging was done very well, or when the neighbour did their side, it messed this side up, but this was well before I owned the property) & as part of a larger garden re-do, I want to, at least repair, but more likely replace this block paving with decorative paving instead.

I've tried a google around, but cannot find an explanation of what options I have for the best way to achieve this.

Do I need to dig down at the fence line in order to put concrete foundations for a wall to support the path on my side, or is there a easier/simpler way to do this?

If I have to install a wall here, would this have to come up to above the path, or could I get away with stopping a little shy of the top, with the paving mortar sitting on top of this wall?

I've been considering getting someone in to do the work, but ideally I'd want to do it myself & at the very least, I want to know what to expect if I did get someone to do the work for me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
These are rather fun.... https://www.woodblocx.co.uk/blog/retaining-walls-steps/

I am currently building a set of low retaining walls with internal buttresses. I used their free design service.

Steps and other customised constructions should be do-able to suit your purposes.

I've had a look, and although they look nice, they're not cheap, and I won't ever get to see them, so not sure it's worth the cost unfortunatly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back