New Paving with a drop on sides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to install a new path in my garden, from the patio down to the shed, nothing too fancy, 2x 450x450 slabs side by side, about 25 slabs long.

Problem I have is where the patio ends and the grass starts there is a drop down of about 20cm. I will slightly angle the paving downhill to meet the ground level at the bottom of the garden, no problem with that. But, it means that somehow I need to raise the slabs up by about 20cm above the current ground level.
What is the best / easier way to achieve that? I'm thinking of using a corse or 2 of engineering bricks to give the edge and just lay hardcore between the bricks

Sponsored Links
potentially could, but the height difference seems to be a bit small for sleepers, would require a lot of digging

B325F843-417E-4D4D-979D-DC13DF768A63.jpeg Too manage the big height variation on my frontage I edged my path with granite sets then pebbles held in edge with small sleepers .

Sponsored Links
View attachment 145482 Too manage the big height variation on my frontage I edged my path with granite sets then pebbles held in edge with small sleepers .

That looks great.

Only issue I forgot to mention is that each set of 2 slabs will be offset slightly from the one before to get the path over to the side, I figured that would be easier than cutting and trying to form a curve!

I was thinking of mitigating the curve in this fashion:

bb3c06149e0d6479aaf5ab43d2f9139e.jpg

Or do we think this is a naff way to do it?

I was thinking of mitigating the curve in this fashion:

bb3c06149e0d6479aaf5ab43d2f9139e.jpg

Or do we think this is a naff way to do it?
that path has no edge, would be concerned that soil from the garden and the lawn would be washed onto it .

It needs to join up with existing path which is higher than the grass level.

I was planning to build up with a course or 2 of engineering bricks to support the slabs, much like this
72_54after-1-jpg.113745

It needs to join up with existing path which is higher than the grass level.

I was planning to build up with a course or 2 of engineering bricks to support the slabs, much like this
72_54after-1-jpg.113745

be fine ,obviously laid in a wet bed of mortar with a slight overhang each side.

why not a step down? That would be perfect height for a step?

nice patio if that yours btw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back