How to Enlarge Hole in Chipboard Flooring for Radiator Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am looking at Replacing Two Type 21 Radiators with Type 22 of the same Size.

The Pipes for the Radiators come up through a Chipboard Floor and need moving Forward by approximately 11mm to accommodate the Deeper Radiators.

Are there any Tricks as to how to enlarge the Holes around the Pipes?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Are pipes copper or plastic ? There may or may not be enough give in copper pipe particularly to allow the movement.
I would use a very sharp narrow chisel 5/6 mm wide to carefully chip away by hand ( no hammering)

Hello

Thanks for the Reply and the Tip, much appreciated.

The Pipes are Standard 15mm Copper.

Kevin

all depends on how the pipes have been run you might not get 11mm of movement
Yep chip away gently bit at a time

Sponsored Links
I use a piece of 22 mm pipe sliced lengthwise and duct taped to the existing 15mm pipe you need to protect.
Then i use a multitool.
If it slips a bit (it shouldn't if you're careful) it will hit the 22mm piece of pipe and not your 15mm pipe.
Otherwise do it by hand with a flat chisel but I would still put something around the 15mm pipe to protect it.

Of course, the best way to do it would be to lift that section of the floor, move the pipe and fit the rad and then trim the flooring to fit the new location prior to fitting back down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back