How to even out floor heights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I recently renovated my kitchen. It included stripping the flooring to bare floorboards and as they were quite uneven I laid 12mm hardibacker on top of it. On top of the hardibacker I've laid underfloor heating and poured around 15mm of self levelling compound in two layers. On top of that went tile adhesive and tiles. Kitchen floor is now significantly higher than my entrance hall floor. Currently it's bare floorboards but I want to lay laminate flooring there. Even with 5mm polystyrene underlay kitchen floor will still be higher by about an inch. Is there anything I can lay under the styrofoam underlay to make floors more even in terms of height. Entrance hall also leads to the living room but there is 12mm PU underlay and carpet in it so it would also help to eveb out the floors.

Any ideas how to tackle this? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Agree with ply, comes in many thickness. Failing that is you're on a tight budget then flooring chipboard would do it.

I think I will go for plywood then. How caan I make sure so that floor won't squeak where boards meet?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Screw them down at the edges, and use a small packer to stop the edges touching. Try to make the joins go along joists rather than in the middle.
Some flooring boards are t+g to prevent that happening, but plywood generally isn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back