Height of kitchen units from floor (when fitting lamintate flooring later)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am installing a new kitchen.
The units come with a plynth that is 150mm tall and adjustable legs.

We will be putting down laminate flooring (probably 8mm + 5mm underlay) which will be installed after the units are fitted (so they dont sit on the laminate).

My question is:

I have made all my measurements (for above worktop sockets, etc) from the bare floorboards (e.g. socket height is 1060mm from floor, which equates to 150mm above finished worktop - this was recommend as a good height for neatly fitting tiles.).

These measurements have assumed that the worktop legs will be set to 150mm. However, I did not think about the thickness of the floor. Shoud I add another 13-14mm to the leg height so that the units are 150 mm from the finished laminate floor, rather than the floorboards? Or do most people just trim down the plynth boards?

The reason why I am unsure what to do is becuase we have not fully decded what flooring to have (I assumed we could deal with that when the kitchen is fitted), but if we end up with thicker/thinner flooring then the units will be the wrong height in either case!

What do kitchen fitters usually do in this case?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Trim the plinth - the floors can be out of level too

The only critical height thing about kitchen work tops, is that if any white goods are used then you can get them underneath. Which in your case it will be difficult to get then out as they will either have to sit on their own bit of flooring or they will need to get over the step onto the laminate. As I am 6' 2" and wifey is 5' 10", I set my work surfaces 2" higher then normal. The gap over the top of the plinth plank had to be covered with some of the cornice beading. My sister is having the height of her plinth raised by 4" !!!!!
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back