Positioning the first base unit of kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From the reading and watching I’ve done online, there is the suggestion to start (set level) base units from the highest part of the floor (with feet at lowest position).

Is this advisable?

I was wondering how this ensures that the lowest part of the floor isn’t lower than the maximum height for a cupboard leg and also what this means for fitting the kitchen plinths are the end.

I would appreciate your advice on this please.

Sponsored Links
the legs should have quite a bit of adjustment on them , do you have the units ? and kitchen striped ?

how much slope is on the kitchen , mine sloped by about 75mm over 7m. and easily accommodated. The top of the base units where all setup with a laser level thing on a tripod the worktop fitters (quartz) had

But worked out the issues using a couple of large 1800/600mm levels once the floor was removed and everything stripped out and just a bare room

It would ensure its most likely to fit within the adjustment but nothing can ensure the adjustment is enough for your floor.
However the legs are just for convenient, even if you needed more adjustment you could just
Chock the feet with plywood.
As a related point from fitting our kitchen, consider the height of the people using it, and if they are above average height consider raising the height. The standard kitchen height is still from the early days of fitted kitchens when kitchen users were shorter.
As we are both tall i cut loads of 70mm lengths of 2 by 2 and screwed through the leg into the end of the wood. That gave us a finished worktop height of something like 880mm from memory. We then bought end panel rather than plinth and ripped it to the right width for the wider gap. A bit of extra work overall but worth it to get the right heights all round.

Going back to your original point about where to start, i found it best to start with the corner unit and work out from there. Our floor was brand new so i knew it was level so i just started from the mid point of the adjustment.

Make sure you don’t set them too high for the plinths or you’ll have a gap/need to do a custom plinth

Sponsored Links
Is your kitchen on a hill?

You don't really want to be cutting the plinth, so work it out on that basis.

Thanks guys.
I haven't started the project yet. Just doing some research and planning.

A couple of you have suggested that I should work on the height of a plinth. What does that mean in practical terms please? There may be a slope in the kitchen and what size should I be working to in order to make the standard plinth fit?

Thanks for bearing with me on this...

If I opted for a 150mm wide plinth, should I be aiming to be pretty close to this at my starting point (high point)? And then how far off can I be at the lower point of the kitchen for this plinth to still work? I am guessing that there can be a small void at the top of the plinth as it won’t be visible to the eye?

mine has a small void , so i can get it out , and has been cut to size with a plastic plinth seal on the bottom
Wickes kitchen , fitted by wickes
In the past i have fitted myself, MFI & B&Q & homebase kitchens was going to use howdens, BUT needed a trade purchase
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealing-ki...ocphy=9046293&hvtargid=pla-696674103963&psc=1
BUT 150mm is the larger, some are only 140mm

you havent said how much the floor slopes by across its length / Width
what are you planning to use as flooring
is it floorboards, concrete floor are you using laminate or vinyl to cover ?
Whos kitchen are you buying?
Are you fitting ?

I favour a generous gap

In a previous (old) house the kitchen floor had worn in traffic areas, so it was a bit higher in the corners and against the walls. I found I couldn't push a dishwasher under the worktop without removing the top panel.

this was much more annoying than having a gap out of sight under the units.

The same thing can happen if you put the units in before adding tiling or other flooring.

If I opted for a 150mm wide plinth, should I be aiming to be pretty close to this at my starting point (high point)?
More like 155mm to allow for fitting and more if you are laying a floor covering afterwards - ie 155mm from the finished floor surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back