Setting a level line for a kitchen fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, thanks again in advance for any replies, you lot have answered many questions for me in my quest for a habitable house.

I have read that the best way to level up kitchen base units is to draw a level datum line across the walls. You then line up the tops of the kitchen units with the datum line which ensures the worktop sits snug and level on the tops of the base units.

My question is....

Which part of the floor should I measure from for the datum line. The highest part of the floor, or the lowest?

Any other tips for a first time kitchen fit would be great too!

Again, thanks in advance

Jim

Sponsored Links
Jim - how much is the floor out? We always work from the high point; remember you can shim out any gaps (low points). Invest in a cheapo laser level for ease of creating the datum, also useful for getting the tiling right.

Thanks for the reply Symptoms.

It's pretty wobbly. The base units will be sitting on Yorkshire stone flagstones. I have tried using a laser, but was only holding it up against the wall, its amazing how much the line wobbles! What I may do is build up a unit, put the legs at the mid point, level it up at the floor high point, then rest the laser on the unit to get the line on the wall.

Does this sound sensible?

Thanks again in advance

Jim

jim - most of these lasers have a hanging eye that enables the unit to be hung on the wall via a nail/screw thus avoiding 'the wobbles'. Your plan of assembling one unit and projecting the laser across the top is as good a plan as any. Tip - uneven stone floor ... ditch the cheapo plastic cabinet feet/legs and swap them for metal ones, say in chrome, and make a feature of them; scribing the plinths (kick plates) to an uneven stone floor isn't easy and never looks 'right'. If cost is a factor, half the number of chrome legs needed by using the cheapo plastic ones at the back where they won't be seen and use the chrome tackle at the front.

Sponsored Links
Think about how high you want the work surface as well.

SWMBO is only 5' 2" so ours are set slightly lower than normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back