Levelling freestanding kitchen units

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We are considering getting a freestanding kitchen, meaning one like this where the units sit on built in legs without a plinth:
https://www.muddandco.co.uk/free-standing-kitchens/

If you have fitted these before, can you tell me how you leveled up a run of base units well enough for the worktop? The back legs could be wedged but that would look awful on the front.

Thanks

bsr

Sponsored Links
I was going to say haven't they got adjustable legs, but they don't...
Level the floor with SLC?

If the "free standing units" are going to be moved from time to time, it would make sense to make adjustments at floor level using plastic shims, otherwise you will be unscrewing and adjusting a heavy worktop. If there is a visible gap, this can be hidden with beading.

Blup

If the "free standing units" are going to be moved from time to time, it would make sense to make adjustments at floor level using plastic shims, otherwise you will be unscrewing and adjusting a heavy worktop. If there is a visible gap, this can be hidden with beading.

Blup
??? Tops are integral to unit , not added.

Sponsored Links
Hello

We are considering getting a freestanding kitchen, meaning one like this where the units sit on built in legs without a plinth:
https://www.muddandco.co.uk/free-standing-kitchens/

If you have fitted these before, can you tell me how you leveled up a run of base units well enough for the worktop? The back legs could be wedged but that would look awful on the front.

Thanks

bsr
What’s your reason for free standing? Once in people Rarely have reason or room to move and if you move home units are unlikely to fit new home added to the cost of dismantling anything too large to pass through doorway.

The only time I've done jobs like those (with runs of cabinets) we made-up softwood ladder frames which were levelled-up on packers then fixed to the floor (SDS and angle brackets on the inside). Front and rear scribe panels were then added to the frame (scribed to the floor), the cabinets built on top of the (level) plinth and decor end panels added at each end (again scribed to the floor). That made fixing a top relatively easy. This is not an uncommon approach in bar, restaurant and shop fitting where units are just too big to be brought-in in a "one-er" but it does make the built item fixed - despite the "non-fitted" appearance (as opposed to free-standing, which is what a single cabinet can be). Can't see any other realistic approach to take, TBH

Thanks JobandKnock.

Yes, the units will be permanently fitted. They won't be going anywhere. It's just a case of how to level them up enough for a worktop, while not having a plinth to hide adjustments.

So one option is a softwood frame. Another is packers, perhaps wooden wedges colour matched to the units and knocked in from the inside of the units.

I'll speak to the retailer and see if he knows what his fitters usually do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back