Setting datum line for kitchen

UPDATE: I wanted to provide you with an update ion where I am at and would welcome your input please.
the base units are 73.5cm tall, the plinth is 14cm. This gives me a combined height of 87.5cm. When I measured around the room, the surface was pretty flat. I have added a few mm for a vinyl floor that will be laid.

upload_2020-9-22_9-46-14.png

A quick thanks for the recommendations for a laser level. Remarkably helpful. The advice came from this forum!

This line is 87.8cm at the lowest point and 87.5 at the highest point. I can also see that the feet are 12cm when at their minimum height. This gives me 2cm for adjustments.
I may need to shave something off the plinth once everything is in place if I have followed your advice correctly.

My worktop is 4cm thick.

I have then laid my subway tiles on the floor and measured 5 rows worth. This comes to 50cm. I have added the 0.2cm spacers x 6. Added a bit more and set the height above the worktop as 56.5cm.

This is where the base of the wall units will sit.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I wanted to fit fixing battens at the correct height before boarding up.
upload_2020-9-22_10-12-0.png

This is now done but would welcome your validation/comments on the proposed heights.

I may need to shave something off the plinth once everything is in place

much easier to set your cabs a little higher. The top of the plinth is not visible so it won't matter if there is a slight gap. It's very annoying trying to squeeze plinth into an undersized gap. maybe one day you will tile the floor.

I thought plinth was 150mm?

Sponsored Links
much easier to set your cabs a little higher. The top of the plinth is not visible so it won't matter if there is a slight gap. It's very annoying trying to squeeze plinth into an undersized gap. maybe one day you will tile the floor.
Interesting point. I thought the consensus n this forum was to not do that and cut the plinth to size. I was asking whether I can get away with a certain amount of gap in the plinth.
That's how I understood the advice.

I can't see the point in the extra work of shaving all your plinths down. a couple of turns on the legs is much easier.

And doesn't fill your kitchen or workroom with dust (many DIYers do not have a table saw with dust extraction)

How much can I get away with at the top of the plinths without the gap being noticeable?
I can then increase the height of the cabinets accordingly

the tops of the plinths are not visible unless you lie on the floor, because the cabinets overhang them.

I think half an inch would be a bit on the big side.

just checked and my legs are 155m (which is for a 150mm plinth, plus I have the damp-proof plastic sealing strip on the bottom, and it's an easy fit in case of any floor unevenness).

I thought 150mm was standard plinth size, but I see there are other sizes on the market.

Bosch dishwashers are 850mm high, so you need the worktop to be higher than that (including flooring) so you can slide them in and out. If you tile the floor afterwards, it will be very hard. I have known that done.

Last edited:
the tops of the plinths are not visible unless you lie on the floor, because the cabinets overhang them.
I was expressing the same point earlier in this forum.

Perhaps I should raise everything up by 1/2 cm and ensure that I have approximately 14.5 cm everywhere for the plinths?

I want to keep all the measurements the same upstream as I have measured the subway tiles and want to get 5 full rows between the worktop and wall cabinets.

the extra 5mm won't be perceptible.

I'd make it all an "easy fit"

If you tile the floor later, how much will that add?

10mm gap at the top of the plinth will never be seen except where you have full height appliances in a run.
Trimming the plinth is absolutely fine if you need to do so cos random floor height for whatever reason.
If you are tall there is nothing to stop you setting the worktop height higher than the minimum you need for any appliances, if you end up needing an oversize plinth PSE can look better than chipboard (depends on what finishes you're using)

If you tile the floor later, how much will that add?
I'm not planning on tiling the floor now but take your point on this being something I do in the future. If I want to accommodate this possibility, I should probably leave a 15-20mm gap?

I fit kitchens and bathrooms for a living. unless you have a black kitchen, a 10mm gap in the plinth is the very first thing i’d see when i walk in to your kitchen, after wondering why you have a flex exiting a faceplate on the wall.
why go to all that trouble and expense , then have a gap in the plinth.
some people’s advice on here beggars belief.
do yourself a favour . set the units at the right height and get a handyman or carpenter in at the end to fit your plinths cornices and pelmets if you have them.
to say you’ll never see the gap is nonsense . you for a start will be pointing it out to everyone who comes in ,justifying yourself.

To help settle this debate on plinths, I just checked the plinths at my friends house. I did get some quizzical looks!
This picture was taken with me laying on the floor
upload_2020-9-22_20-43-35.png

I would estimate that we have a gap just over 1 cm.

Here is a view of this from 4 metres away:

upload_2020-9-22_20-44-40.png

Are we overly concerned and perhaps we can get away with a gap of around 1cm? Especially when this means that the plinth slides in easily and wont need any trimming?

I would welcome your thoughts on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back