Kitchen base cabinets on an uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of fitting my own Ikea kitchen and was hoping for a bit of advice (I'm a basic DIY'r)...

It's a U-shaped kitchen and I've used a self levelling laser to find my high point. From here I've measured up 860mm (700mm cabinet + 160mm plinth) and set my laser to this height. The floor must slope over the 3400mm diagonal span, as when I put the laser on the parallel wall and line up my units, it measures 885mm to the floor at the farthest point.

I can raise the units fine but this means the plinth would have a 25mm gap and also the worktop height would vary from 900mm to 925mm. Is this OK or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help :D

Sponsored Links
What thickness floor covering will you be adding to the floor, if any?

You would try and work it so that you trim the plinth board at the highest points or where the floor peaks, leaving the lowest points in the floor about right for plinth and floor covering.

However, you may also need to consider whether you will be adding any levelling compound to the floor if the floor surface is really poor.

The floor covering is laminate and with the underlay comes in at 12mm. Those measurements are from the finished floor up so there wouldn't be any levelling compound.

I'll try your idea of setting the plinth at the lowest point, but the 25mm has to go somewhere. Won't that mean at the highest point the worktop will be less than 900mm high?

Thanks

If you have free standing appliance you don't want the top too low, split the difference and you will have just 12mm high /low. Plinths can be cut to size.

Sponsored Links
I've had a look at splitting the difference, but unless I'm missing something my worktop at the highest point will only be 888mm high?

That seems a bit low and that would be on the wall with my sink and dishwasher. Also the Ikea units with legs on the lowest adjustment have a minimum clearance of 850mm so I couldn't get that low without cutting the legs.

Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly.

I could also buy one of the large end panels and cut this down for the plinth where there would be a gap. Do you guys think that would be a option?

Thanks again

I've had a look at splitting the difference, but unless I'm missing something my worktop at the highest point will only be 888mm high?

That seems a bit low and that would be on the wall with my sink and dishwasher. Also the Ikea units with legs on the lowest adjustment have a minimum clearance of 850mm so I couldn't get that low without cutting the legs.

Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly.

I could also buy one of the large end panels and cut this down for the plinth where there would be a gap. Do you guys think that would be a option?

Thanks again
Would be 888 at lowest point and 912 at highest.
If lowest units sit is 850mm then use that as lowest point.
Afraid thats the problem with Ikea kitchens , they lack any flexibilty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back