Installing kitchen base cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is my understanding correct?

I currently have a concrete floor, so i'll be installing my kitchen units straight onto this and installing floor afterwards

Laminate floor + 5mm wood fibre underlay = 13mm
Worktop height: 12.5mm zenith compact laminate

i want my FINISHED height (from finished floor to top of worktop) to be 91cm

I'll basically put a level line at 91cm on the wall, as the worktop and laminate floor will in effect cancel each other out, however my main concern is the plinth.

In terms of making the plinth fit without cutting, Is it best to set the height of the base cabinets (on the concrete floor) by placing the cabinet on the concrete floor, lay down one plank of flooring and a bit of underlay, and then adjust the cabinet legs to the height of the plinth?

Am i overthinking?

Sponsored Links
You will want the gap left for the plinth a bit bigger than the plinth or they won't go in.

I'm not sure by how much, 5mm maybe.

You will want the gap left for the plinth a bit bigger than the plinth or they won't go in.

I'm not sure by how much, 5mm maybe.

OK cheers. So would I be best setting my cabinet height by using the underlay, laminate and then plinth as a guide?

Sponsored Links
I currently have a concrete floor, so i'll be installing my kitchen units straight onto this and installing floor afterwards

if you feel you must.

Spilled milk and ants will easily get under it.

Laying flooring on an open, flat floor is far easier than van dyking it round lots of units.

kitchen fitters seem to like laying it afterwards because they intend to drop tools and paint on the floor.

OK cheers. So would I be best setting my cabinet height by using the underlay, laminate and then plinth as a guide?
Yes, with 5mm extra so to fit and remove plinth without problems.
Before securing the cabinets to the walls, check all of them because sometimes floors are not levelled and you might find yourself cutting plinth...

if you feel you must.

Spilled milk and ants will easily get under it.

Laying flooring on an open, flat floor is far easier than van dyking it round lots of units.

kitchen fitters seem to like laying it afterwards because they intend to drop tools and paint on the floor.

The reason i was going to install afterwards is incase i need to lift the floor at a later date?

The reason i was going to install afterwards is incase i need to lift the floor at a later date?

I would be tempted to lay the underlay over the whole floor

Then put down far eastern plywood same thickness as the lam floor, where the cabinets are going -just wide enough so the plywood come out just in front of the cabinet feet.

you definitely dont want to trap in appliances with the flooring -the plywood will mean they end up level with the laminate so they slide out easy.

think about how much you can see of the floor in front of the appliances -you dont want to see plywood, just lam

Then put down far eastern plywood same thickness as the lam floor, where the cabinets are going -just wide enough so the plywood come out just in front of the cabinet feet.

you definitely dont want to trap in appliances with the flooring -the plywood will mean they end up level with the laminate so they slide out easy.

think about how much you can see of the floor in front of the appliances -you dont want to see plywood, just lam

so are you suggesting i install the laminate flooring and underlay in the whole room before installing any cabinets?

edit: sorry i read it again and understand!

would just just lay plywood on as if a floating floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back