Kitchen units / fitting floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
little query i hope someone can help with!

I've got a Howdens kitchen to fit. home-owner still undecided on what flooring to have so will have to fit flooring afterwards. not a problem usually but she doesnt know if she wants 15mm engineered wood (with 5mm cushion underlay) or a thinner laminate.

so i dont know for sure what height to set the unit legs to allow for the plinth.

but i'm thinking if i lay strips of 22mm chipboard flooring under the legs, i've given myself plenty of room to fit the plinth in afterwards, whatever depth flooring is chosen.

is there an error in my plan!?!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Why put extra timber in ? Just adjust the legs for extra 22mm , if the floor finish is less the gap over any plinth won’t be seen due to cups overhang.

thanks Foxhole
I think 22mm is the maximum Howdens legs can be raised by, so if the customer wants engineered wood at 15mm with a 5mm underlay, that only leaves 2mm to play with. which would be fine but I reckon there's a slight slope on the sub-floor so i'd rather have a bit more than 2mm to play with along the length of a 3 metre run of units.
does this make sense? my plan seems a good one but I'm just keen to check i've not missed something!

PS - ive never used howdens unit legs at their maximum, so was wondering about strength (some of the units are extra tall appliance towers)

Should be fine , you can always add another central leg but not really needed.

Sponsored Links
Why put extra timber in ? Just adjust the legs for extra 22mm , if the floor finish is less the gap over any plinth won’t be seen due to cups overhang.

my choice

but rather than standing the cabs on bits of board, it would be neater to screw board to the bottoms of the cabinets for the legs to go on. Then you could adjust the legs rather short at first, but if necessary would wind them up later.

85E6497F-0CC3-477C-A38C-FD9C682241ED.jpeg Orange shed one can very easily be modified?

Those are the ones I have used before and, while not measuring specifically, they had a decent amount of adjustment.
When fully wound in the leg measures 130mm, it can then be shortened a further 24mm by sawing the outer part which doesnt involve cutting the threaded section .
A futher reduction is possible after this by cutting both parts which I would estimated to be another 50mm.
Edit: maximum extended length around 195mm so a 65mm range of adjustment .

Attachments

• 4399B31F-6706-4E9C-AE28-6E52371439AC.jpeg
    4399B31F-6706-4E9C-AE28-6E52371439AC.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back