Setting datum line for kitchen

Are we overly concerned and perhaps we can get away with a gap of around 1cm? Especially when this means that the plinth slides in easily and wont need any trimming?

I would welcome your thoughts on this.

I put my own kitchen in an trimmed every plinth panel to fit - no gaps. I had to trim them a little more, when I laid vinyl on top of the laminate I had laid originally. This, just last week.

Sponsored Links
Mine have about 3mm gap on them all, which makes it nice and easy to pull them out when access is needed, or the rubber seals perish.

You are wasting your time worrying too much about the plinths

Set the units up in line when the time comes, and then you level them to allow for the plinth depth and floor covering. It really shouldn't be a three page thread!

But surely I need to plan heights based on the plinths? Especially if I want to avoid cutting them?

Sponsored Links
But surely I need to plan heights based on the plinths? Especially if I want to avoid cutting them?

As said and I explained above - there are only the two options, unless your floor is absolutely flat and level. An absolutely flat and level floor is extremely unlikely, so you have to accommodate the dips and bulges in the floor with the plinth.

Its not engineering working to a fraction of a degree.

Floor coverings are 3mm if lino, 10mm for tiles, 12mm for click laminate,
145mm for plinths, allow 150mm
900mm for base units including the worktop
say 450-500mm for tiles
730mm for wall units
plus coving

These are all approximate and all you need to know at the start. You just adjust things as you start fitting

I can see how you can adjust as you go along but would a bit more planning now ensure that your plinths wont need cutting and your able to get in a full row of tiles and not end up with a tiny cut. I suppose that's what I was trying to achieve...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back