Datum line for tiling...

I've always put my original batten up such that there are 2 missing rows (1 full and 1 cut) at the bottom.

I don't understand how this works when there is a bath tub involved. Am I missing something?
Do you not put your first set of batons at 1 tile (or 1.5 tiles above the bath) and then follow this level around the room so the tiles meet. That's what I have done and I now need to tile below this level.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I forgot about the tub, blame it on tiredness!

Yes in that situation you are right. Most of the principal still applies but if tape isn't working then maybe a new batten would be helpful. I've never done it myself. Given that the important part is keeping it snug to the dry tiles, id probably give myself an extra couple of mm when putting a new batten up, then wedging under the tiles to make sure they're nice and tight to the row above. Last thing you want is to discover your batten is 1mm too high at one end and you can't fit the tile and spacer above it!

Sponsored Links
Update: Based on the advice above, I set the batten two tiles down (and a tiny bit of wriggle room). I dry fitted the tiles before screwing in place. It worked a treat. Here's a pic with the lowered batten:

Attachments

• BATTEN.jpg
    BATTEN.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 183
Update: Based on the advice above, I set the batten two tiles down (and a tiny bit of wriggle room). I dry fitted the tiles before screwing in place. It worked a treat. Here's a pic with the lowered batten:

Looks great, what grout gap have you run?.

Re-tiling our bathroom is a job for next year, like the large format tiles looks a great job so far!.

You didn't centre the tiles on the window, and what's that pipe thing in the corner with duck tape around it?

3mm gaps for grout.
The pipe thing in the corner...
That’s the vent for my soil. I had to convert it from 110 to 85 as that’s what a going through the roof. I used a rubber adapter and added duck tape for added protection.

I now need to box this and either tile or paint.

Also, I was able to get 3 full tiles on the window wall and opted for this rather than centralising on window

Attachments

• E3EB9D08-9774-4393-8971-0B3F8DE4139E.jpeg
    E3EB9D08-9774-4393-8971-0B3F8DE4139E.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 172

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back