Fitting kitchen base units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted the 2 base units that fit into the corner of my kitchen. There is a problem with the corner walls not being at right angles.

This means that the corner worktops will butt up together at an angle which may look a little odd.

I could plane the back of the carcass in the service void to pull the carcass into line but would worry that this would pull the other end of the worktop out making a bigger overhand and leaving a gap between the its top and the wall.

I have uploaded some photos.

I am after some advice on the best course of action.

I also need some advice on securing a belfast sink and its plinth - my plans show that the plinth is freestanding with an 18mm gap either side. Do I need to fix it to the other base units or will it be o.k. to rely on the sinks weight to keep it from moving? How do I fix the sink to the plinth
I attach a photo of the plinth and would be grateful for some advice.

Cheers

Ged

Sponsored Links
QUESTIONS
1) How far out of square is the corner?

2) Is the corner angle smaller or larger than 90 degrees?

3) What method are you going to use to join the worktops? ie machined joint or butt with joining strip.

4) How long is each worktop going into the corner in question?

If you are having the worktops machined then you can adjust the jig to take out the angle of run out but if you are using a joining strip they are not so forgiving.

Sponsored Links
Hi, from looking at LH picture, if the RHside of the unit is touching the wall you have a major problem, without being there I don't know what to suggest, With RH picture, I would cut back the RHside of the facing unit to allow it to become square with its mate and cut the worktops in to suit.

It looks as if the walls that you are working to are new partition walls, is that true, if so, who fitted them so out of square??? if I were you I would get them back to do the job again but right this time. Regards Al.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back