How to fill a very large bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to install a very large bath (500 litres) and I'm trying to work out the best way to fill it. My wife originally ordered a single lever mixer with diverter and shower attachment. However I think the flow rate at 3 bar would only be about 23 litres per minute and so it would take 20-30 minutes to fill the bath.

Ideally I would like to fill the bath in 5 minutes so we need around 80 litres per minute. We will have a 500 litre hot cylinder and cold tanks in the loft connected to a 3 or 4 bar pump in 22 mm pipe. I think the pump could probably manage about 70 l/min combined as long as its output is not "throttled" by a restrictive tap set up. At the same time we want the taps to look modern and be of quality construction, but this seems to lead is down the "high pressure" tap route that I think will restrict the flow.

Any suggestions of the best tap/filler valve arrangement would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Actually we are on a water meter, it's just a question of how you choose to spend your money. It's a big bath and I won't be having one every day, but when I do I don't want it to take ages to fill, that's all.

Sponsored Links
CHeckout the better quality "bath furniture" catalogues, such as Hansgrohe. I've seen some monster fittings. One recently in a trade mag had a mouth about 150mm wide. Expect to pay hundreds for it - as you say it's your bath. I just spent 2k on a bath 500 on a pump and a few hundred on the chrome stuff. (DO look at the Rain Dance head!)

........ it's just a question of how you choose to spend your money.

There you are IanDB, "I'm alright Jack!"

Just a good job 1) everybody can't, or doesn't want to afford it. 2) The Kyoto agreement is just a load of words while "Two Jags" drives around.

Latest gem I heard is, at current rate of consumption, copper will run out in 30 years, oil about 50, and iron about the same, so we'll probably be washing in rivers...............

Thanks for the advice Chris R.

Oilman and Ian I’m sorry if you find it gratuitous that I am going to have a large bath. I’m sure in your ideal world I would be forced to wash in a bucket, live in a house with no heating, electricity or gas, walk or cycle everywhere and apologise for the carbon dioxide I breathe out.

However, I thank God that I don’t live in such a society. Yes it wouldn’t be great if everyone had such a bath every day, but then not everyone would want to in the same way that I don’t drive a 4x4 and have no wish to.

The bath is an indulgence and one that I will be paying for every time I use it. I live in Manchester where it rains a great deal and there should be plenty of water available. My extra water fees will be contributing to the infrastructure that will ensure everyone continues to have sufficient water for their needs.

As for the CO2 used to heat the water I have absolutely no qualms about that. I studied Physics at Downing College, Cambridge and I have serious doubts that our use of fossil fuels is linked to a rise in temperature. I also do not believe the doom and gloom scenarios of wild floods and storms ensuing that are being bandied around. If you look at the hard scientific evidence for these predictions, it is not there.

However, the media will of course find such tales sell papers.The whole myth has become self-sustaining such that anyone who dissents is viewed as unhinged despite the objective rationality of their views. In my view the Kyoto agreement should indeed be ripped up and we should stop wringing our hands at the benefits of our technological progress, but marvel at how it has improved our lives. We live in the most comfortable of houses with heating, light and running water. We can travel freely in our cars, eat all kinds of foods in abundance and enjoy a quality of life unheard of by our predecessors. This is what I will be reflecting upon with a glass of Champagne as I bathe sumptuously surrounded by gallons of hot water.

Dmc- for f sake don't mention the swimming pool and spa!

As for the CO2 used to heat the water I have absolutely no qualms about that. I studied Physics at Downing College, Cambridge and I have serious doubts that our use of fossil fuels is linked to a rise in temperature. I also do not believe the doom and gloom scenarios of wild floods and storms ensuing that are being bandied around. If you look at the hard scientific evidence for these predictions, it is not there.

Good job I posted my wind-up or you might not have posted this. I agree entirely. This global warming business is questionable to say the least. (I have some much more blunt ways of putting it). The political grown-ups pronounce on things they no nothing about, claim it's fact and conveniently ignore the natural cycles that have been going on for millions of years. "Stop using fossil fuels, lets all fly off on this years round of conferences to far flung places. Oh, don't forget we need to expand Stansted airport, and anywhere else we can think of, and as Exeter MP, (being responsible for protecting SSSIs) well he will support the West Country trunk road being built through the Blackdown Hills, that way we can all drive over the SSSIs so we can see how important they are,....er...were.

Anyway what IS the problem with a disaster? The earth has seen many before, and they won't stop just because we're here.

This year's hurricanes are supposed to be to do with global warning according to the political pundits, but this is more likely to be tied to the cyclical changes in sea temperature, the problem now is the enormouse amount of building around the Carribean since the 1960's. So there will be more destruction.

There, bet someone thinks I'm unhinged now.

If global warming has brought the wonderful Indian summer we've had this year, and is giving us vinyards again in southern England, then keep pumping out the CFC's lads!

But I agree with DMC and Oilman. The CO2 case is far from proven - natural cyclical events have caused far more dramatic changes in climate than anything we've seen in our lifetimes.

Much of the environmental lobby is a gravy train for politicians parading their worthiness. After all, who in their right mind would deny our ministers the opportunity to "save the world"? (funny, isn't it, how they never choose to meet in Siberia).

The chief source of global warming is the air coming out of their mouths.

Does anyone have any advice on taps or filling options though ? At the moment I am thinking of simply 2 3/4 low pressure taps to fill the bath and a separate lever operated shower mixer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back