How to fill around main copper water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of doing so home renovation and needed to move the main water pipe coming into my kitchen.

I had a plumber come and move the pipe but I now need to fill what has been dug up. He has taped it and said I will be fine just the screed over it but I should put a bed of sand underneath pipe to make it easier to dig up in future.

I was just going to fill the hole with like for like concrete mixes, put sand under pipe and finish with a weak mix on top incase I needed to get to pipe in future.

I've checked online and most info advise against putting copper in cement directly and should be in an outer pipe / conduit.

I was thinking of buying some corragated conduit pipe and cutting lengthways to slip over the pipe then filling.

Would either of these be ok or is there a better way?

Here are some pics.

20200616_145331.jpg 20200616_145337.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've put some conduit around the pipe to provide some more protection.

I just need to bury the pipe now.

I was going to fill the hole with like for like with what is currently there but the only concern I have with this is that there will be a joint in the floor screed.

Should I just bury it or should I try and retain access if needed. The majority of the pipe will be under a kitchen unit but the deep whole where the pipe enters the kitchen will need filling or someway to protected it as it will be walked over.

Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored Links
If I were to fill and make a channel around the pipe and then bridge the pipe with ply or steel would that be ok?

If I were to fill and make a channel around the pipe and then bridge the pipe with ply or steel would that be ok?

Yes, but strictly speaking it should remain accessible with a removable cover. If not it should be fully ducted so the pipe can be pulled out for inspection.

I have looked through it. That why I suggested making a channel and covering it.

Think it shows what I mean in image g7.1b?

The joints below floor level are soldered. The flooring will be laminate so removable if needed. So unless a good reason not to I will make a channel around the pipe and joints and cover which will be flush with floor. Material I use for cover will depend on how much space I have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back