how to fill-up boiler to increase pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Valiant combi-boiler and recently took the radiator off to plaster the wall. It now leaks and will not heat up, the pressure is non-exsistent on the boiler dial. I will fix the leak but wondered how to top the water up after in the boiler so there is pressure again?

Sponsored Links
Sara said:
I have a Valiant combi-boiler and recently took the radiator off to plaster the wall. It now leaks and will not heat up, the pressure is non-exsistent on the boiler dial. I will fix the leak but wondered how to top the water up after in the boiler so there is pressure again?

There will be a filling loop there if its a combi, its a braded piece of pipe and has a tap at the end, turn this tap and fill until the gauge says 2bar then turn off the valve.

AR

thanks for your quick reply, unfortunately there is no braided wire, only two that go into the wall one of which seems to have a valve on, could it be that? as I have no manual I can not check with that?
I think I have fixed the leak now though, so that's a start.

i think you will have to wait for one of the plumbers from this forum as i only know the very basics......

AR

Sponsored Links
If it's a new Vaillant then the filling loop may be part of the boiler. Check your manual for the location. For old Vaillants you'll have a filling loop as mentioned above. There are several methods people use for filling loops, some not up to regs which can cause water contamination, you'll need to find two pipes which are either capped off, joined by a hose of some sort or separated by a gate valve/stop cock/ball valve. The regs state the filling loop should be situated near a pressure guage, but then not everyone follows regs...

Thanks for that, I do not have a manual though, as I bought the flat with the boiler already fitted. Someone is coming around tomorrow who said to fill it from the radiator that was leaking. I would like to know a little more about the different ways of filling up so I don't get the water contamination. As you said not everyone follows regulations and so I'll know more for when they come around. thanks.

also though to fit current regs the filling loop should be disconnected so it may be lying around somewhere

If it's a fairly new boiler (digital display , showing temperature etc) the filling loop is internal. Look up at the bottom of the boiler. You're looking for a slotted -type screw , right of centre, towards the front, which is accesible through a hole about 9mm or so diameter. The slot in the "screw" is thicker/wider than normal for a screw, cos it's a valve. When the boiler was new it would have had a small key with a black tab shoved into the hole. If you find something likely-looking try turning it by 90º. If there's a whooshing noise you've found it! Turn it back when the pressure gets to 1 bar on the gauge.

Btw you all seem to have missed that she is in the netherlands....in europe automatic filling loops are allowed....

BR

The boiler doesn't have an electronic displays but is quite new ( nearly 5 years old ). I've looked at the bottom of it and there is a black plastic screw-top ( right of centre at the front ) with a slit in which is leading off one of the pipes that goes in the wall. Could this be what you are talking about? I was given no key with it that I can remember. Can I use a screw driver/coin to twist it? Thanks gents.

The UK Vaillants of that age had external filling loops. I don't recognise the black plasticthing you refer to, but if the pipe from it goes outside through the wall then it's probably the pressure reief , which will only let more water out if you turn it. The problem with "trying" it is that it might leak afterwards.

I think you're going to have tocal Vaillant in your supply area. If the filling loop IS external you need to find it . It will be off the main house water supply pipe, and connect to a heating pipe, usually near the boiler - it has to be within sight of the pressure gauge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back