How to find an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive moved to a new area, NW Manchester, and i don't have any contacts for home improvement. Im looking for an electrician to rewire the house im refurbishing and living in.

Due to my financial situation id like to do as much myself with the electricians guidance as possible. for instance I can chase walls and put in back boxes following the advice of the electrician, If he was happy I could run wires under floors and up chases ready to be checked again by the sparky

Am i likely to be able to find someone who would be willing to do this for me and where would you suggest I look?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will need a registered electrician. They are all listed on one website
http://electricalsafetyregister.com

Type in your postcode and invite two or three to quote and advise how you can work together.

Most sparkies don't enjoy hacking at walls, so you should get a sympathetic audience!

Ususally I'd say word of mouth from someone you trust is the best way to find a good tradesman, but if you don;t know anyone up there then this may be tricky?
Look at http://www.electricalsafetyregister.com/ to find a local registered electrician. Dont be afraid to ask for references or pictures of work they have done. If they are an good they wont mind.
Get 3 quotes and dont forget the cheapest isnt probably going to be the best to go for.
As for doing some of it yourself, you may be lucky and find someone who will let you do this under their guidance, but I can tell you that usually if someone asked me this I'd probably put the price up a bit to cover any problems (which not being funny will probably happen if you have no electrical installation history?) There is certainly more to 'running cables' than what most people realise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back