How to find Shed (stable) power line..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My previous owner just cut wire that supplied power to my shed. Now I am struggling to find the wire. It is actually a stable block. Not sure from where the connection to stable coming..?

I managed to find other end of wire which was cut, but not able to find where its connecting to as it seems to be under the grass. I bought a metal detector to find the other piece of wire but unable to detect anything..

Is there any usual way or rule where from which electric connection to stable is taken from home..? I have a conservatory next to this as well.

Any tips..?
wire2.jpeg
Conserv.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, what is your purpose in finding where the cable goes?
Only because, if you intend to reuse that cable, I'm afraid that's a no-no!
Twin and earth cable, buried like that is a completely inappropriate method of connecting power to the stable! :confused:

You may get some more ideas if you ask the mods to move this thread to the electrical forum?

two reasons, one i am keen to find fro where the power is taken as that internal wiring point I can't detect. (thats why I was asking if there is a standard in these type of external connections..?)
secondly ofcourse want to see if I can reuse as all wiring inside stable is intact.. Wire end shown in photo is the end suspended from trees, I ma trying to detect side they cut if off..
I know its somewhere in that area as previous owners seems to have wire where it enters inside soil. Thats why trying to find using metal detector.
I want to detect part which is under the grass. I am expecting that part to be inside a pipe not wire alone hidden under soil.
Same ex-owners had some other external wiring under gras where wire was inside pipe.

I’d start by looking inside the house, or conservatory.
Look inside the wall sockets, or even at the meter?

the cable should be 18” underground. You can hire cable detectors but I don’t know how accurate they are in amateur hands

Sponsored Links
Look inside the wall sockets, or even at the meter?

Thats good lead..Thanks
My metal detectors not giving 'a line of detection' but managed to get a sharper from underground!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back