how to finish plasterboard in a cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
have fitted various pieces of plasterboard (baseboard i think with square edges) in a cupboard to box in a soil pipe and also cut a piece for the ceiling which i've stuck on.
got gaps around the edges and joins plus the indents from screws. just wondered how to finish it. want to paint straight on without having it all skimmed. finish isnt crucial as its just a cupboard!
so my questions.. i've got general purpose filler and grabs like nails plus filler knives etc. can i make do with this stuff to fill the gaps and indents?
in my diy book it talks about jointing tape, filler and special cement.
last question , after making good the gaps etc, does the plasterboard need priming before painting (as per diy book) or can it just be painted straight on?
appreciate replies :D

Sponsored Links
If you're going to fill the gaps with filler, it's often better to put a piece of tape over the gap too, to stop the filler from falling out when it's dried. But if you not too bothered about the finish, then just use the filler you've got , fill up the gaps and dents, sand it down when dried out, and then paint it. With it being just a little job anyway,, and onto plasterboard,,you could get away with emulsioning straight onto it..... It's always better though to start off with a thinned down emulsion (mist coat) on any new wall/ceilings, working up to the full strength coats to finish with.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back